Update on my nano… may have figured out the issue

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as you guys know Ive been battling with this nano tank. Only zoas, a wall hammer and RFAs are doing good in it. I have 3 hermits, a conch, and an emerald crab. I feed the tank for the hermits and give my emerald nori every day to supplement his diet. The inverts are doing great. As Ive mentioned had one clown die; two vanish and then two gobies vanish. Looked for bodies, found none. No jumping, checked all around. I was like what the heck is killing my fish? Water is fine as far as ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Well fast forward to today Im watching my emerald crab and the freaking sand starts moving. Im like what the f? I swore I saw some kind of well something in the tank.

Wasnt able to get a picture or video, trying to figure out what it was. It never fully surfaced. Conch is accounted for so it isnt him. Any ifeas what this is and maybe if it has something to do with my missing fish?

I will keep my eyes on it and see if I can get something on film for you guys. It just happened really fast and I just stared at it!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loch Ness Monster, or one of those predator worms perhaps? How much sand and rock are in the tank? A picture of the tank would help other people guess what might be happening.
worm speaking GIF by ethan clarke
:cool:

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loch Ness Monster, or one of those predator worms perhaps? How much sand and rock are in the tank? A picture of the tank would help other people guess what might be happening.
worm speaking GIF by ethan clarke
:cool:
Oh I hope not

Attachments

• IMG_2438.jpeg
    IMG_2438.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 38

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot of places for a fish predator to hide in.
A high fever can distort visual perception, hope you are feeling okay today?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol funny you say that, I saw the sand moving two days ago and was like yep thats a trick of the light or something until I saw it last night! And thats exactly what I thought too about the hiding so thats why l posted cause aim stumped!!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did buy live rock from my LFS that was already wet and in a bucket for this tank and different sand, so maybe I had a little hitch hiker. I just dont know where it could hide if that is whats happening!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did buy live rock from my LFS that was already wet and in a bucket for this tank and different sand, so maybe I had a little hitch hiker. I just dont know where it could hide if that is whats happening!
Maybe put some chunks of shrimp or chicken in the tank at night and then wait and see what comes out to eat, if anything.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottle trap. It is probably just a bristle worm, which are not fish catchers but will take a free meal if they are already did.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find out what is/was moving the sand?
Yes its a conch! Must have moved in the tank cause I took some rock from a different display tank to put in my nano and the conch must have gotten in there somehow! As far as what happened to the fish no idea. Ive had a pair of clowns in there about a month and a half with no issues and they are super active and healthy! Also have a coral banded shrimp (added after my missing fish so not him) and an emerald crab thats been in there forever and 2 hermits and 2 snails.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back