New corals added - Welcome to my private island! Enjoy your stay :)

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made little adjustments.
F8AE4D7C-B5EB-4C77-B805-632163A91E0B.jpeg
998B1EA6-9004-4749-85CA-43DCE87A71C7.jpeg

Is this the 110$ pack with different structures?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some 1/2” and 1/4” acrylic rods and super glue. I think I am going to use them instead of using PVC. I think I can put extra footing since they are smaller than 1” rods. What do you think?
I think that will work out great. Now is the time since it’s not wet yet. Drill some holes and seat the rods inside the rock and you’ve got a cool looking floating scape. I used the skinny plastic risers that come with innovative marine snapgrid to lift mine. I covered around the outside with rubble so it looks like Little Rock pillars. I wish I would have thought of using the clear acrylic rods, it would have saved me a lot of time gluing rubble to plastic legs.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that will work out great. Now is the time since it’s not wet yet. Drill some holes and seat the rods inside the rock and you’ve got a cool looking floating scape. I used the skinny plastic risers that come with innovative marine snapgrid to lift mine. I covered around the outside with rubble so it looks like Little Rock pillars. I wish I would have thought of using the clear acrylic rods, it would have saved me a lot of time gluing rubble to plastic legs.

Yeah I just remembered that I have the rods and I think I better use them instead of using PVC. Question. Do I really need to drill the rock to insert the rods, or can I just super glue them to the bottom of the rocks?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just remembered that I have the rods and I think I better use them instead of using PVC. Question. Do I really need to drill the rock to insert the rods, or can I just super glue them to the bottom of the rocks?
I think the rods would be too skinny at the end to be able to glue to the rock surface well. I would think even just a half inch hole to insert the rods would provide a lot more stability and surface area for the glue to adhere. Or, maybe look into using some epoxy to attach the rods. That way you could build some up around the rod to make it stable?

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't use drill and just use super glue. For non flat surface I used fauna Marin putty. My plan for the ones with superglue only, I am going to apply Nyos cement around the rods. I think it will hold since I used more rods than I need. What do you guys think?
Before:
70A4EE49-7D6E-4E4D-8D15-8842757060AE.jpeg

After:
2F7D1016-1236-45B1-AB59-711FB6DC4C15.jpeg

Nyos cement applied:
4CB64DDA-D854-4E3C-9FB0-18F0B004215D.jpeg

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use drill and just use super glue. For non flat surface I used fauna Marin putty. My plan for the ones with superglue only, I am going to apply Nyos cement around the rods. I think it will hold since I used more rods than I need. What do you guys think?
Before:
70A4EE49-7D6E-4E4D-8D15-8842757060AE.jpeg

After:
2F7D1016-1236-45B1-AB59-711FB6DC4C15.jpeg

Nyos cement applied:
4CB64DDA-D854-4E3C-9FB0-18F0B004215D.jpeg
That looks great. Can’t wait to see it in your tank.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dealing with this one persistent leak right now. One out of three pipe that connected to the bulkhead using Red Sea Sump Pump Return Connector R42221 persistently leak between the Red Sea part and the PVC fitting. I used pink tape and wrapped it around the thread and also use waterproof chaulking, but it still leaks. I don’t understand. The other two are fine. Help?

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to decide whether to use Besta Ikea frame, Sonax component stand, or network cabinet rack to house Apex and other controllers. What do you think?

I just found a network cabinet below that can be access from sides and have glass door, two fans included on the top and railing on the side to attach wood panels.
What do you think? It is 30" high so it is about 4" shorter than red sea reefer stand.
https://www.primecables.ca/p-362736...t-network-server-cabinet-rack-15u-primecables

sonax component stand

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing done. Leaks fixed! Rocks in and water filling has started. I can only make 5 gallons at a time so It will be slow and steady filling.

I installed clarisea already and plan to leave it off until I get a fish. Is there a downside of leaving it off and let the water run through it until I get a fish?
52CF803A-2D78-4184-A431-98E796041561.jpeg
F52F4C85-7E9A-4E18-BD40-5917C57A7F48.jpeg

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
720A10F3-A7E1-481D-AB8F-A6F873C331C9.jpeg
FD90390E-F30D-4893-9CD3-43ABB319AC7D.jpeg
put in caribsea purple life rock and RODI water. Heater in and still at 72 F so far. Looking to get it to 78F. I am starting to mix the Tropic Marin salt in slowly. Skimmer is on.

My questions are:
-can I put in ammonia and Dr Tim’s now? Or should I wait until the temperature is reached and salinity is set to 1.0025 or 1.0026?
- can I leave the skimmer on during the whole cycle to break in?

I plan to leave the light off the whole time.
Thanks

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
720A10F3-A7E1-481D-AB8F-A6F873C331C9.jpeg
FD90390E-F30D-4893-9CD3-43ABB319AC7D.jpeg
put in caribsea purple life rock and RODI water. Heater in and still at 72 F so far. Looking to get it to 78F. I am starting to mix the Tropic Marin salt in slowly. Skimmer is on.

My questions are:
-can I put in ammonia and Dr Tim’s now? Or should I wait until the temperature is reached and salinity is set to 1.0025 or 1.0026?
- can I leave the skimmer on during the whole cycle to break in?

I plan to leave the light off the whole time.
Thanks

Nice build thread. Enjoying the progress so far. I have a RSR250 as well. Just a few months ahead of you my tank is coming up on 1 year in a few weeks.

I would wait till you get your salinity up before adding the bacteria. Also, I would recommend a fishless cycle with some ammonia. Super simple and works really quickly. I do also suggest no lights for the first 2 months really stops algae growth. I didn't and it set me back early on with hair algae.

When added the salt into the tank I wouldn't bother with the skimmer. I have the same skimmer just a different sump. It breaks in pretty quickly. You can turn the skimmer on at when you start adding life to the tank (other than the bacteria).

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build thread. Enjoying the progress so far. I have a RSR250 as well. Just a few months ahead of you my tank is coming up on 1 year in a few weeks.

I would wait till you get your salinity up before adding the bacteria. Also, I would recommend a fishless cycle with some ammonia. Super simple and works really quickly. I do also suggest no lights for the first 2 months really stops algae growth. I didn't and it set me back early on with hair algae.

When added the salt into the tank I wouldn't bother with the skimmer. I have the same skimmer just a different sump. It breaks in pretty quickly. You can turn the skimmer on at when you start adding life to the tank (other than the bacteria).

Is there a reason why I have to wait until the salinity is up to 35 ppt before adding bacteria? I understand that same bacteria exist in freshwater and I don't think they depends on the salinity level to thrive. I asked this question on the cycling thread and the OP didn't see an issue. Please share your thoughts.

I am not using any lights right now and will not be for a while. Maybe a couple of months after I added a fish.

I had the skimmer on for few days, but now I have it turned off completely since I added the bacteria already.

Please continue to share your tips :)

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason why I have to wait until the salinity is up to 35 ppt before adding bacteria? I understand that same bacteria exist in freshwater and I don't think they depends on the salinity level to thrive. I asked this question on the cycling thread and the OP didn't see an issue. Please share your thoughts.

I am not using any lights right now and will not be for a while. Maybe a couple of months after I added a fish.

I had the skimmer on for few days, but now I have it turned off completely since I added the bacteria already.

Please continue to share your tips :)
I am sure either would probably work before or after adding salt. Just seems best to wait given they will be living in salt water. I would check the instructions on the bacteria too to see what it says. Remember to take things slow in this hobby.

How are you adding food for the bacteria? Also are you planning to test during the cycle process? I did but I seen a lot of seasoned reefers just wait till they see coralline and or just test NO3 and PO4. Either works just need to give it time for everything to develop. Would be good to have an ammonia test kit too to ensure after you add your first fish that the bacteria can keep up with the new ammonia. Coralline could take a while too, I am a year in and just now starting to see good coralline despite being able to keep SPS for many months.

Now would also be a good time to create a fish stocking list. If you share we can give some tips. I added some more aggressive fish early on and should have waited. Best to start with less aggressive fish then move to more aggressive especially in a small tank like the RSR250. Also checked out the youtuber pelphey. He has a RSR250 too and posts videos regularly.

Good luck and have fun.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure either would probably work before or after adding salt. Just seems best to wait given they will be living in salt water. I would check the instructions on the bacteria too to see what it says. Remember to take things slow in this hobby.

How are you adding food for the bacteria? Also are you planning to test during the cycle process? I did but I seen a lot of seasoned reefers just wait till they see coralline and or just test NO3 and PO4. Either works just need to give it time for everything to develop. Would be good to have an ammonia test kit too to ensure after you add your first fish that the bacteria can keep up with the new ammonia. Coralline could take a while too, I am a year in and just now starting to see good coralline despite being able to keep SPS for many months.

Now would also be a good time to create a fish stocking list. If you share we can give some tips. I added some more aggressive fish early on and should have waited. Best to start with less aggressive fish then move to more aggressive especially in a small tank like the RSR250. Also checked out the youtuber pelphey. He has a RSR250 too and posts videos regularly.

Good luck and have fun.

I am using Dr Tims one and only and ammonia. I also bought Microbacter XLM, but did not end up using it. I thought I have Caribsea purple liferock already which contains dried bacteria and plus Dr Tims. I thought it will be too much bacteria during the cycle process. I am thinking of maybe using it when the cycle is over just to give a bit of boost.

I bought Ammonia and nitrate salifert test kit and I will be purchasing Phosphate hanna checker soon. I didn't plan to buy nitrite kit, but someone from the cycling thread said that sometime nitrite will show up as nitrate on nitrate test kit. Therefore, the only way to confirm if all nitrate is by confirming that there is no nitrite in the tank. So I guess I will be purchasing nitrite kit soon.

In term of fish and due to the size of the tank, I think I will need to prioritize on the utilitarian fish first. But I really like flame angels, pygmy and other dwarf angels. We will see.

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Dr Tims one and only and ammonia. I also bought Microbacter XLM, but did not end up using it. I thought I have Caribsea purple liferock already which contains dried bacteria and plus Dr Tims. I thought it will be too much bacteria during the cycle process. I am thinking of maybe using it when the cycle is over just to give a bit of boost.

I bought Ammonia and nitrate salifert test kit and I will be purchasing Phosphate hanna checker soon. I didn't plan to buy nitrite kit, but someone from the cycling thread said that sometime nitrite will show up as nitrate on nitrate test kit. Therefore, the only way to confirm if all nitrate is by confirming that there is no nitrite in the tank. So I guess I will be purchasing nitrite kit soon.

In term of fish and due to the size of the tank, I think I will need to prioritize on the utilitarian fish first. But I really like flame angels, pygmy and other dwarf angels. We will see.
No such thing as too much bateria. If you have too much some will die off and your water might be cloudy for a bit. Mother nature will do her thing to balance things out. Unless you have money to burn don't bother with nitrite. I have a hanna one and only have used it a handful of times. Works great just no need anymore. Nitrate test kits are not always so accurate but good to test anyways, just keep that in mind. Hanna ultra low range phosephate test kit is the best hightly recommend that. Normally outside of GFO usage if you have high PO4 you will also have high NO3.

Utilitarian fish are great highly recommended. My yellow tang is great. Tank is a little small for him but will probably upgrade in the next 2-3 years.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No such thing as too much bateria. If you have too much some will die off and your water might be cloudy for a bit. Mother nature will do her thing to balance things out. Unless you have money to burn don't bother with nitrite. I have a hanna one and only have used it a handful of times. Works great just no need anymore. Nitrate test kits are not always so accurate but good to test anyways, just keep that in mind. Hanna ultra low range phosephate test kit is the best hightly recommend that. Normally outside of GFO usage if you have high PO4 you will also have high NO3.

Utilitarian fish are great highly recommended. My yellow tang is great. Tank is a little small for him but will probably upgrade in the next 2-3 years.

I am ordering hanna ULR phosphorus one instead. I read and also watched BRS video that they have more tighter result thus a bit more accurate.

I want a tang but really hate thinking of dealing with it when I have to get it out due to their size. Also I think tangs are more prone to ich. I don't know we will see.

I have two Aquamaxx reactors installed and I will be running carbon regularly with it. The second one is for GFO just in case I need it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back