Updated: High phosphate and nitrate solution

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

last week I posted my nitrate and phosphate level (see post #1).

Following suggestions from you guys here, since last week, I stopped feeding frozen, didn’t feed reefroids and LPS pellets (I usually target feed corals twice a week). I have been feeding twice a day ONLY with pellets and flakes in small quantity. I still dose red sea AB+ everyday.

The test result today is Nitrate 25 and Phosphate 0.196.

So my tank manage to cut down the phosphate level to almost half just by stop feeding frozen foods completely. I didn’t do large WC. I didn’t use GFO or any other additive. I am going to do 5 gallons WC today (out of 60 gallons total) and report back next week. I am glad that I don’t need to use GFO and additives to deal with the phosphate.
In the most cases of people with high nutrients the reason is a bad food management.

The supplements as reefroids and amino acid are developed for ultra low nutrients tanks where the corals need somewhat to eat and don't die.

if you have detectable parameters, it says that you have an excess of nutrients not consumed, so you have to stop to adding more unnecessary nutrients to the tank, only with fish poop will be fine

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 cannot be lowered by water changes because it binds with the rocks and sands. Removing it via WC makes is release from the rocks and sand and goes back to the same level. The Reefroids are notorious for high PO4 in tanks. ChemiClean elite or NoPoX are great ways to actually remove the PO4 from the system permanently. The vitamins you are mixing with the food could also be a cause.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat, don't make my mistakes:

Marine blocks as suggested are junk and didn't do anything
Sulfur denitrator didn't do a single thing after 8 months
Water changes did nothing
Carbon dosing has yet to kick in after 1 year

Nitrates are the absolute hardest thing in this hobby to lower once they get higher. I would bet you can change 100% of your water and they would be high within the hour.
Dang - you are so right though. LOL I've been battling Nitrates for MONTHS. I've got them down to 40, which is an improvement I swear. My phos was at 0, so NO Pox wasn't working either. I just took the Cheato out, but kept my other macros to raise my Phos... I'll give it another week and start NoPox again. I am so on board with you though.... a million water changes have really done nada.

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 cannot be lowered by water changes because it binds with the rocks and sands. Removing it via WC makes is release from the rocks and sand and goes back to the same level. The Reefroids are notorious for high PO4 in tanks. ChemiClean elite or NoPoX are great ways to actually remove the PO4 from the system permanently. The vitamins you are mixing with the food could also be a cause.
The NoPox is a carbon source it will eliminate 16 parts of nitrate for 1 of phosphate, so to reduce phosphate i don't recommend you the use of NoPox

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the most cases of people In the most cases of people with high nutrients the reason is a bad food management.

The supplements as reefroids and amino acid are developed for ultra low nutrients tanks where the corals need somewhat to eat and don't die.

if you have detectable parameters, it says that you have an excess of nutrients not consumed, so you have to stop to adding more unnecessary nutrients to the tank, only with fish poop will be fine
I will continue the same routine and stop feeding corals purposely and just do my regular weekly 5 gallons WC and report back a week from now.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will continue the same routine and stop feeding corals purposely and just do my regular weekly 5 gallons WC and report back a week from now.
The best thing to do for any and all problems in a reef tank is don't react too quickly and take your time. Nothing good seems to happen fast. If it took months to get there it could take months to get out. Good luck and keep us updated.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back