Upflow Algae Scrubber UAS

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading a series of threads on various forums, I decided to make my own algae upflow scrubber. My design is inspired by @SantaMonica Thank you sir for all the information you have put out to the community!

I originally started this thread on MASC, my local forum in Colorado, but decided to share here as well. Below is a summary to date and I will continue to post updates.

Background: I have a small 24 gallon Current Aquapod tank. The tank is now 9 months old and have I performed 5 gallon water changes every two weeks. Filtration consists of 20lbs of live rock 15lbs of live sand, 1 mechanical filter and 1 bag of Seachem Purigen. Livestock consists of 4 fish, 10 snails, 5 hermits, 1 shrimp and 30 corals. My numbers are consistently 1.024 salinity, 8.2 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 10-30ppm nitrate (varies depending on water changes), and 0.25ppm phosphate. The phosphate and nitrate have been climbing over the last 2 months and I have decided that I needed to work on a nutrient export strategy so I don't have to increase my water changes. Because my nano has very small compartments in back, I don't have space for a media reactor, skimmer or refugium. I do have space for an upflow algae scrubber...so here we go!

Parts List:
cross-stich mat, plastic sheet from Michaels
air pump (2 liter/min)
air tube, included in air pump
plastic dish from Thai food take out ($8 for pad thai....mmmm good!)
super glue gel
light (mine is led, DYI build I boaght off a friend)
timer

Step 1: Preparing the mat. You need to make the mat as rough as possible. I started with a belt sander, using 40 grit sand paper. This roughened the entire mat, cutting small grooves into the mat. After the first sanding, I then used my small hole saw to roughen the mat further. Holding it in my hand, I scraped it side to side and in circles. I tried using a drill, but did not work nearly as well as using by hand.
2b3df7f4137317bb80b496bacb066f4f.jpg

From all I have read, you'll want the mat to be as rough as possible to give the algae something to grab onto.

Step 2: Preparing the plastic dish: the soon to be UAS. Following Santa Monica's design; I put holes 2 large holes on the top (1/4", 1 for air tube and 1 for air release), 7 smaller holes (1/8") on each side for water outflow, and 11 small holes on the bottom for water inflow. To make the holes cleanly and precise, I melted them using a torch and drill bit. You will need good ventilation.
eb1b87a101bee1d9697cc32a17978adc.jpg

62c9c6e5e1838ffb231eb8f2673abaf6.jpg

Step 3: Gluing everything together: Roughen up the plastic dish with sand paper and roughen up the air tube. This will help the glue stick to everything. Stick the air tube in and glue it down. I then cut a slice along the tube at the bottom and then a few cross cuts. This allows a place for the bubbles to come out. I cut 2 pieces of matting, one at a diagonal, the other square. and glued everything together. I used some help from Jack to hold the matting down while the glue set.
122fa53039b67733ede657898f07f9d6.jpg

Final product:
2896c72ea33fa47c3916fa15cf35b8e9.jpg

a19d740dabfc558a89ed9d35896bbf29.jpg

Step 4: Light, I bought the light from a friend; copied from my friends thread, "Because its only 5 LEDs (using 4 660nm and 1 455nm LEDs) and the required voltage was only 12v I didnt need a driver. I just used a 500ma 12v pc fan power adapter."
de28b82d28ee6f6ea569c1c258d7ce14.jpg

96d3d4805c8c9e7cf25a06c3587bb5e0.jpg

I adjusted for the Light intensity. Kris warned me that the light was very intense, so I sanded the acrylic shield to diffuse the light, and that still seemed really bright, so I took some leftover matting and taped it down over the light. This helped diffuse the light and I think will be the solution.Only time will tell.
5f436e196e63e682b588676e526a783c.jpg

Step 5: Installation. I rearranged some items in the back, and also created a couple addons to help reduce the noise. First, I place the air pump in a insulated box, with egg crate foam, cut some air vents and stashed the whole thing in a cabinet. May have been a little overkill, but I can't hear the air pump at all! Next, I made an exhaust muffler, so that as the air leaves the UAS it is silenced. It is made from a simple $1 syringe from grocery store.
b23c487938c40d58ca4b22bfe6a20515.jpg

830a447c3cd1d59b6eb0e13e6314c286.jpg

a35014428e9a7d42713208b22e0311f7.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------
Day 1: NO3- 30ppm, PO4- 0.30ppm. I did my water change today, but took a couple photos right before I vacuumed up the algae. This is the starting point...not really that bad, but I am getting tired of cleaning the acrylic every day. I will consider it successful even if it helps keep the acrylic clean. I am going to start with running the LED 16 hours/day. We will see in a week how it all works.
5b4fd50a8f4cd8de00cd7b672e4958d8.jpg

And a small comment before the fish police show up : ) Yes, that is a ruby red mandarin in a 24 gallon tank. He was a "rescue" from a LFS (starving to death). I keep 10 gallons of copepod cultures going just for him and feed about 500 copepods daily.

-------------------------------------------------------
Day 7: NO3- 20ppm, PO4- 0.25ppm. Minor buildup on the screen. Looks to be mostly slime and not the green hair. Still optimistic because many people report that it can take a couple weeks to get a new screen started. I decided to up my light from 16 hours to 18 hours for the next week.
fb97d13c4fa101f77d727897caa7e268.jpg

Maybe it's my optimism, but I have noticed a slight improvement in the DT. The sand looks a bit cleaner and didn't need to clean the acrylic as much as I had been. The numbers however, haven't shown a significant improvment.

---------------------------------------------------------
Day 15: NO3- 10ppm, PO4- 0.10ppm. Pulled the scrubber and brushed it off with a tooth brush. Definitely starting to grow and outcompete the algae in the tank. Not the thick mat of algae yet, but not sure I'll ever get that. I think the scrubber may be a bit oversized for my 24 gallons, the bio load and the amount I feed...Maybe I'll start feeding a little more. With all that said, the DT is looking good. No more algae in the sand, none of the rock and down to cleaning the acrylic 1-2 times week.
f3860e1220189cf87c324cda6df128bb.jpg

Did a couple water tests and the results are encouraging, both of the numbers are half of what they were last week. First pic was 14 days ago, second is yesterday. Both are close-ups of my GSP, same area of the tank. It's subtle, but I do believe the scrubber is helping. The whole tank shots don't show it as clearly.
250effacc54576500113574ef6ed00e1.jpg

f7d590f7476928487b7dd296c697e1b5.jpg

Day 21: NO3- 15ppm, PO4- 0.25ppm: Numbers have slightly increased from last week. The scrubber has more algae than last week, still more of a slime algae than hair.
496928d9d08c24abb252491da4d62c02.jpg

I did notice a build up of algae in the DT about 2 days ago, and now looking at the screen, I should have pulled the scrubber 2 days ago for a cleaning. The slime algae does not grow as thick and needs to be cleaned more frequently for the scrubber to be effective. Slime will still pull nutrients from the water column, but it grows in a thin mat and blocks the light to the base, potentially killing off the "roots", releasing nutrients back into the water. I suspect that might have been the case because the slight increase in nutrients.
bb25533cadbe47f6541a48b828c95620.jpg

05f60c596c3ff1f5f7520dfb91badc0f.jpg

Day 28: NO3- 15ppm, PO4- 0.25ppm: Numbers held the same all week, did not climb or lower. Because I've been getting slime algae in the scrubber, I cleaned the screen 3 times this week. It was fascinating; after 2 days, algae started to appear on the sand, I pulled the scrubber and cleaned it. Within 12 hours the sand was clear. 2 days later, the sand started getting algae, pulled the scrubber and same thing, 12 hours and clear again. Moreover, my acrylic had film algae on Monday, and because I had a busy week, I ignored it all week. By today the acrylic was clear. I am a fan of algae scurbbers.
fa6a09ffd1932d289403973b1354bcbb.jpg

Day 35: NO3- 10ppm, PO4- 0.15ppm. Not going to post a photo of the screen again...looks identical to the one above, slime algae still, and cleaning it 2-3 times a week. Been reading about that, and decided that I should up my photo period on the scrubber from 18 to 21 hours. I also removed the diffuser a week ago. We'll see what happens this week. Other noteworthy items. I did not have to clean the acrylic at all in 7 days. This is a HUGE improvement compared to the need to clean every day when I started this project. Another interesting note, the sand is no longer growing algae, but now my rock has some hair algae in spots (circled below in photo). Again, was reading about this, and it is very interesting to see how the sand and rock can act like a sink and absorb nutrients when nutrients are high in the water column, and then release it as the nutrients in the water are reduced. Clearly the sand released stored nutirents first and reached a balance, hence why I had an algae bloom show there first. Now that the sand has reach equilibrium, the rock is now leaching nutrients, resulting in algae growth on the rock where the transfer is occuring. Once the rock stops leaching and reaches equilibrium with the water column, I expect I will then start to see a more significant decline in measured NO3 and PO4.
889d3ce7e462b2f6a7ba7fdbccfce894.jpg

Through the course of this project, I have not increased the bioload, same number of fish, same feeding schedule and amount, same lighting, etc... On day 15 I removed my chemical (purigen) filtration and on day 28 I removed my mechanical (foam). My system is now 100% biofiltration, live rock & sand, and algae scrubber. I have maintained my biweekly 20% water change schedule and siphon as much detritus off the sand and rock as I can during WC. I am excited about the progress so far and my aquarium has never looked better!

Last edited:

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People underestimate the importance and value of an ATS. Since I set mine up, my water is crystal clear and very little algae in the tank. It is very hard to take a slice of the ocean/reef and replicate that at home with all of the natural actions that occur. An ATS should be on everyone's list of "must haves" for a reef tank.

OP
OP
rjl45

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really cool thread, its great to see both the medium-term results of using one, and your implementation in a small system.

Thank you! I am trying to not only show the end result, but all the incremental results. At first I didn't understand why algae would continue to grow in the DT after installing a "perfect" location for the algae to grow. After learning about where and how nutrients can be stored in the rock, it makes total sense that where the transfer occurs between rock and water, algae will grow. It has been fun to observe the process and have a photo record that helps explain the process.
People underestimate the importance and value of an ATS. Since I set mine up, my water is crystal clear and very little algae in the tank. It is very hard to take a slice of the ocean/reef and replicate that at home with all of the natural actions that occur. An ATS should be on everyone's list of "must haves" for a reef tank.
I couldn't agree more with your statements! I didn't know anything about ATS until a couple months ago, and once discovered, I immediately realized it would be a perfect solution for my nano. So many people gravitate toward mechanical or chemical filtration, while forgetting that biofiltration is sometimes the simplest solution and often very effective.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome documentation! ATS are so awesome I'm not sure why more ppl aren't using them. I'm adding one with my new sump build.

OP
OP
rjl45

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome documentation! ATS are so awesome I'm not sure why more ppl aren't using them. I'm adding one with my new sump build.
Thanks! I agree, I am now a huge fan of ATS. There are so many benenfits without many negatives. I dont get why people don't like them. They are great for nano tanks because they can be customized to fit in limited areas and provide much needed nutrient export for a small system.

OP
OP
rjl45

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 39: so... I forgot to clean the acrylic for over a week, maybe longer, where the light shines in, ... lol oops! The scrubber will work better if light can actually get in.
6fda8eed6a55417f7d9977333a0eb8f8.jpg

Note to self: when cleaning the scrubber, take a moment and clean the acrylic too.

OP
OP
rjl45

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are very pleased we inspired you to build your own scrubber, and you did a fantastic job!!

...and yes, light is kind of important ;) so don't forget to clean! :)

~SF
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback and REALLY appreciate all the information you have given out to the community! It has been fascinating to watch the system adjust and equalize over the last 6 weeks. I am truly astonished by the simplicity of the scrubber and how well it works to keep the system balanced and clean. I don't understand why everyone doesn't have one.

OP
OP
rjl45

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 42: NO3- 10ppm, PO4- 0.15ppm. Cleaned the glass and screen 3 days ago and everything still looking good. Below are before and after photos for 3 days of scrubbing. Still dark slime, but I am getting hair algae starting on the sides.
a9bd844d877254f58b8db83a1b9fa12c.jpg

f8f55b65005494ba5a334824e40aec26.jpg

Doesn't look like much on the screen, but take a look at the water after I scrubbed it clean.
ed579acbb0facbdcf1be3ecb9b4a2f9e.jpg

I still have some minor hair algae growing on the rocks, but I expect that for another month or so, but time will tell. BTW, look at that acan grow :D
211175503f4026a1f953ba1b25a32bdc.jpg

If you look close, there are some places where the algae is growing on the rocks, but overall, the tank is looking good. I may not be matching the results some people have shown, but I have accomplished my goal of stabilizing my system. That really is the ultimate goal, right? lol
199c9ef4ce9b8ae9f9a0b3aa6bf6c742.jpg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry but I do not understand how you arranged the air tubing. So the air is put into the bottom of the container and then it bubbles to the top, where it is released through the other airline?

OP
OP
rjl45

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry but I do not understand how you arranged the air tubing. So the air is put into the bottom of the container and then it bubbles to the top, where it is released through the other airline?
You got it! I run the air tube from the top of the scrubber, behind the screen down to the bottom where I cut some slots into the tube. The air bubbles runs up the screen, facilitating algae growth and creating water circulation. Air leaves the scrubber through a hole in the top, where I added another air tube and muffler to keep the noise down. Water is allowed to circulate around from the sides and bottom.

It's very important that air bubbles run up the screen. Santa Monica describes it best in his thread, but basically constant cycle of water to air to water helps the algae grow quickly. I took a photo with the scrubber running and wrote some notes on it. Hope it helps explain.
0de8a44a7394926e7464db1ee24ad43d.jpg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got it! I run the air tube from the top of the scrubber, behind the screen down to the bottom where I cut some slots into the tube. The air bubbles runs up the screen, facilitating algae growth and creating water circulation. Air leaves the scrubber through a hole in the top, where I added another air tube and muffler to keep the noise down. Water is allowed to circulate around from the sides and bottom.

It's very important that air bubbles run up the screen. Santa Monica describes it best in his thread, but basically constant cycle of water to air to water helps the algae grow quickly. I took a photo with the scrubber running and wrote some notes on it. Hope it helps explain.
0de8a44a7394926e7464db1ee24ad43d.jpg

Wow! I appreciate the diagram, totally explains it to me. I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 and am thinking of attempting an algae scrubber in the sump. I am not sure up flow vs regular down flow, need to work on that. Thanks!

OP
OP
rjl45

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure up flow vs regular down flow...
Glad to help! There are advantages a disadvantages to each. My choice was simple, I don't have space for a waterfall, so upflow was the way to go. But, upflow can be noisy. This is why I spent extra effort creating a muffler and storing the air pump in a 'sound proofing chamber'. Fortunately there is a bunch of good information out there on the forums. Good luck!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to help! There are advantages a disadvantages to each. My choice was simple, I don't have space for a waterfall, so upflow was the way to go. But, upflow can be noisy. This is why I spent extra effort creating a muffler and storing the air pump in a 'sound proofing chamber'. Fortunately there is a bunch of good information out there on the forums. Good luck!

I have some room for a down flow, might see which is easier/more efficient. I see down flow scrubbers for $200 but thats a bit much for me.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some room for a down flow, might see which is easier/more efficient. I see down flow scrubbers for $200 but thats a bit much for me.

Waterfall (down flow) are certainly more efficient for the same screen size (lit on both sides so grows twice as much algae). I can't comment on which is easier as I haven't tried an upflow (only got my waterfall funning a month ago now) but the waterfall seems super easy so far. Once a week I turn the pump off, undo the union and pull out the pipe with the screen attached to clean it. If price is an issue (as it was for me) you can always make a DIY scrubber. There is a great how to (the Algae Scrubber Basics thread). That thread goes through how to build, what size to build, how to light it and correct flow etc. Lots of people there who will help answer any questions too.

rjl45, your tank is looking good mate. Loving the black sand too!

OP
OP
rjl45

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for adding your thoughts @MaccaPopEye ! Cost was an issue for me as well, that's why I went DIY. Also it's a lot of fun to build something and work through the kinks and make it work for your system.

Lot of people don't like the black sand, but I think it helps make the colors pop! Cheers!

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think that by following the guidelines in the basics thread you can achieve a scrubber just as good as a commercial one. Just maybe not quite as pretty in my case :p I also agree that building something for you're tank is always fun and rewarding (and sometimes frustrating haha)

I'm halfway through doing/planning a re-vamp of my tank. Stage 1 - start and ATS and get the rock free of algae, is now underway. Stage 2 is to do a new scape with new rock and get it cycled. And stage 3 is to move the tank across the lounge room and drill it in the process. After seeing your tank and a few others I am now set on black sand when I do the move. I was going to do bare bottom but really like the look of the black sand :)

OP
OP
rjl45

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm halfway through doing/planning a re-vamp of my tank. Stage 1 - start and ATS and get the rock free of algae, is now underway....I was going to do bare bottom but really like the look of the black sand :)
I wish I had discovered the ATS before I let my rock absorb so much nutrients. But another few weeks of scrubbing and I think it'll be gone for good. So many people do white sand, and then they don't clean it or take care of it and it looks like garbage. I like the black, makes the colors pop and doesn't show the grime much. I think you'll like it!

OP
OP
rjl45

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 49: NO3- 15ppm, PO4- 0.05ppm. Nitrates are a little higher, but phospahtes are down to practically nothing. A week ago I made a slight adjustment. Added a couple spacers at the bottom of the scrubber to tilt the screen a little to get more bubble contact on the screen. I also adjusted the photo period from 21 hours to 22 hours. Did it help? Sure did!! First time the screen is not covered in slime. Yeah!
a1ecf86829dcee5b5e38976ca7d0eef1.jpg

Still have algae on the rocks. Actually looks like it might be growing a little bit, but it is not widespread and limited to a few areas.
9bdb95875d5d88f79c8357b9836e4f0b.jpg

f7107680b0922753437c6a4b0ff4be51.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back