Upgradable Equipment (Etc.) from 40g to 125g

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am completely new to the hobby and just in the research process. I would like to have a 125g reef tank in about 5 years when my oldest moves out and will therefore grant me the space. But currently I only have a location for a 40g or below. And I may only start it as a FOWLR.

What are somethings I could purchase with a 20-40g that would last and still be usable in 5 years if I switched to a 125g?

I would like to automate alot of stuff down the road if within budget.

I'm thinking test equipment, possibly lights, etc.. I figure I could use the 20g-40g as a QT later on.

Still learning what all I need in general and trying to understand the options that I may not be aware of.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights: AI/radions get the bigger one and then you can add another or two when you upgrade (expensive ones not needed if fowlr)
Pumps: buy ones that you could use on 125 but make sure you can dial them down so they can work for 40
Apex: works perfect for both and can add modules when you expand

Upvote 0

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second what Dcal said, go for lights, battery backup, apex power strip or testing gear. 5 years is a ways out hard to say if you would want said light 5 years down the road. But yea if it was me I would try to fit a 50 gallon as you can get a little more options opened up livestock wise.

Upvote 0

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 5 years is a long time for some equipment in this hobby. I’ve read people say some of the tunze powerheads go for that long. Avast marine reactors would be a safe bet.
I think kessils leds last a long time

Upvote 0

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While some equipment will last 5+ years, new and possibly superior gear will certainly be out before youre ready for a 125g provided you still want that as a future upgrade in 5 years

An rodi along with refractometer of sorts would be more or less the best long term investments for any sized tank. A lot of units can be retrofitted for higher gpd productions as needed and a refractometer is not tank size restricted

Brute trashcans for ro/saltwater storage is also indefinitely lasting equipment

Led lighting in a shorter window would be a great option (1-2 years) but 5 years is typically the expected life span of most leds (all of my original kessil a360wes do still work and are from late 2014 but now a greatly improved 360x is out now)

DC pumps can be run at a lower speed if opting for a sump but careful planning should be made so the overflow of either tank can handle min/max respectively

Adjustable powerheads like vortech mp40s can work well in the same vein as dc pumps due to adjustability

Controllers can be imported to larger tanks and expanded easily but arent necessary for long term success and as time goes on newer or better options could arise.

Hopefully this helps!

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back