UPGRADE FROM 55gal 4ft TO 130gal 6ft! REEF TANK BUILD! Step by step...

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 55gal 4ft reef tank with a 50gal refugium underneath and are now upgrading to a current 130gal 6ft freshie. All stock from the freshwater tank will go into one of two other 6ft tanks (pics to come) which has currently got cichlids in it. all the cichlids will g into one tank and all the fish from the 130 will go into the spare. For me this is a big leap but up for the challenge as most reef junkies are. All I need is another 20kg of sand and another few Kg of dry rock to fill the space. I will post pics of my every step, will be buying sand in the next week, and in two weeks the process will begin the majority of work will happen in one day lol :) but up for the challenge and reward. Will keep you guys posted hope you enjoy!

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
current fish stock:

1x coral beauty angel
1x lawn mower blenny
2x yellow fox face rabbit fish
1x disbar anthias
2x female lyretail anthias
1x disappearing wrasse

1x lightning wrasse(pink face wrasse on live aquaria)
1x cleaner wrasse
1x tiny engineer goby
2x blue/green chromis
1x maroon clownfish-female
1x green bird wrasse

1xzebra moray eel
1xsnowflake moray eel

wish list
1x niger trigger

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been drained gravel yet to be removed. The pumps and filters have been disasembled as well. 20kg of sand and a few kg of dry rock will be bought to pics to cone when bought. Piping and holes will be bought and drilled today. Hopefully somewhere in the middle i will collect some saltwater and the process of adding sand saltwater plumbing rock adding the refugium which is the old one already established etc this should all be done anywhere from the next 3 to 4 days. So better get a move on and start the process pics below... dont mind the paint thats going to be repainted pics of the new tank

1458860563170.jpg

1458860616297.jpg

1458860636376.jpg

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished building the sump/refugium last night, tank can't be set up before 7 days as the silicon has to dry and cure fully. I have just bought a yellowtail angelfish from my LFS that is very small and locally caught. When picked up i'll post pics :)

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ended up not going through with buying the angel, as I had misread that they are only fine with SPS and not LPS and softies,ooops anyway still got the build to be busy with :) more progress and pics soon :)

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to get calcium or a white film looking stuff off aquarium glass? This tank use to be a freshwater tank and the water was hard and has left calcium or something on the glass. I have attempted scrubbing with vinegar, vinegar and cleaning vinegar, water and cleaning vinegar... any suggestions needed thanks :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone know how to get calcium or a white film looking stuff off aquarium glass? This tank use to be a freshwater tank and the water was hard and has left calcium or something on the glass. I have attempted scrubbing with vinegar, vinegar and cleaning vinegar, water and cleaning vinegar... any suggestions needed thanks :)

I was going to say vinegar! HA! Have you tried a razor blade scraper?

Back