Upgrade/Reboot/Recycle SCA 150 and Reef-Pi Build Thread

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! For all who's willing to read my story this far, here it is!
I finally took the plunge and ordered a new tank to replace my second hand setup that I've been nursing since I got it.

Before deciding to upgrade, I had a very bad ich and brook outbreak along with bacterial infections and discovering my LFS(the same LFS that didnt know what a black molly was, and charges $50 for brown zoas) had been selling me whelk snails as nassarius! [emoji36]
I lost most of my fish and inverts with only a few remaining.

I let my tank run fallow and picked out all the whelks I could find.
During this time I noticed aiptaisia starting to spread, both colonial and digitate hydroids come and go, pod population explode, bubble algae spread and receed, and plenty of other things.
About 1 week before the end of my fallow period, I noticed salt creep sticking out from the bottom back corner like a salt fountain. I searched and searched for the cause of the build up and finally decided it was from the seam itself starting to leak.

It was time to order a new setup, I used this as a good excuse to upgrade to a larger system.

During the tear down, I found the top plastic frame for the tank was cracked right in the center (see pic) and the glass was bowing.
After getting everything out of the stand, I found that one structural side wall of the stand had been separating from the rest of the stand and was breaking away!
I was running this system on borrowed time!

The old setup:
-Used(previously neglected) custom 90 gallon 48×18x24 with a single off center overflow box
-Rear exit bulkhead, no e-drain, return line hanging on back of tank.
-30 gallon sump/refugium with way too much crushed coral/sand, caulerpa peltata for nutrient export
-Old noisy AC return pump
-Eshoppes 120 skimmer
-2 jebao pp8's
-300 watt fluval heater w/digital display
-2 Viparspectra 165w lights over display
-1 small t5 and Ebay led bulb for refugium
-100+lbs live rock
-Mixed crushed coral/DSB
-5 gallon home depot bucket ATO reservoir
-icecap ATO
-kalkwasser and vinegar mixed into ATO res

I have decided to make the new setup mainly anemones, euphyllia, zoas, and some other softies.
I plan to stock clowns, a tang or two, firefish, and I'm undecided on other fish and open to suggestions since I have never ran an anemone dominated tank.

The NEW tank setup (things are still being bought and added to list)
-SCA Rimless 150 Gallon PnP
-maple stand, black finish from SCA
-No canopy
-SCA 302 skimmer
-Jebao DCP13000 return pump
-58.5 gallon rimless sump from SCA 120 PnP (to allow more room in the stand for reservoirs, reactors, equipment, etc)
-2 crossflow/gyre style pumps (undecided on brand yet, either icecap or jebao if they ever become available)
-2 jebao pp8 (recycled)
-3 Viparspectra 165w lights (2 recycled)
-Jebao 4 channel doser
-Coralbox powercell battery backup
-2fishes kalk reactor from BRS
-2 finnex 300 watt titanium heaters
-BRS GFO and Carbon reactors
-Possibly recycle eshoppes skimmer and run 2 if needed.
I will be hard plumbing this system with schedule 80, black PVC, and purple schedule 40 pipe.

I also have decided to dive into building a Reef-Pi controlled system to monitor temp, PH, leaks, and water level in return chamber of sump.
I will also use it to control lighting ramp up/down, skimmer operation, powerheads (if possible) return pump (if possible), ato system including top off pump and refilling reservoir from RODI system via solenoid, temperature control, and doser control (I will be using the slave doser unit, not the one with controls)
Here is the parts list for the Reef-Pi build so far:

-Raspberry Pi B+
-x2 Temp Sensors DS18B20
-16ch Breakout board
-Perma Proto Bonnet
-16ch Servo HAT
-ADJ SRP8 8ch relay pack
-LBS-10 Leak detector solenoid
-Icecap ATO system (uses dual optical sensors)(recycled)
-Icecap ATO solenoid valve
-Adjustable float valve (for redundancy)
-Atlas Scientific Probe Kit
-2ch 5v Relay
-Poly NEMA 4x project box
-analog liquid level sensor
-5amp DC-DC converter

I ordered the new system early May, and recieved it a couple weeks later, mainly delayed because of scheduling a delivery date/time.

I will not be reviewing my experience with SCA in this forum, as I would like to keep this strictly build related and I am still getting things ironed out with Steve.

I decided to swap around my entertainment system to where the old tank was, and dedicate the wall where the TV was, to the fish tank, equipment, storage, etc.

I painted the wall matte black to help cut down on light reflection since I will not be using a canopy. I will continue the black paint over to the adjacent wall where the TV is now to encompass it all together.

Luckily I found out that the outlets near the tank are only sharing a circuit with a ceiling fan and other outlets not being used in the master bedroom, so i dont feel its necessary to add a dedicated circuit. I will be upgrading them to GFCI outlets before getting the tank wet.

I currently have boxes full of equipment and parts and pieces, I still have quite a few items to purchase, roughly $1,000 worth.

With the help of 4 of my friends, we unboxed and moved the tanks and stand into the house and they helped me set everything up nice and square on the foam pad.

I am currently waiting on plumbing parts to be delivered, and then I will be starting to fill this thing up for the first time!

I will continue to add pictures and updates as thing come together, I am excited to share this experience with you all!

P.s. excuse the clusterf**k of a garage in the picture, it became a catch all over the winter and needs purged [emoji23] and yes, those are zebra pattern door beads by the tank [emoji41]
20190518_230058.jpeg

20190511_144403.jpeg
20190511_144341.jpeg
20190511_144132.jpeg
20190516_161526.jpeg
20190518_230117.jpeg
20190518_212227.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idaho Mojo

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet upgrade! Were you able to run all of those modules off a single pi? I want to make one that controls power outlets, monitors/controls temp and monitors ph but I'm still looking up how to connect all of that.
Hey thanks for the read and response!

I have not actually put together the reef-pi yet, I am still doing lots of research and reading on other builds.
From what I've put together, I should be able to run all of these modules off of one Raspberry Pi, which is why i went for the 16 channel parts.
If not, I will most likely get a smaller Pi to build a standalone lighting controller to alleviate the load on the B+.

I will include the Reef Pi build from start to finish in this thread along with the tank!

OP
OP
Idaho Mojo

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, nice sized tank , big enough to hold tangs :0)
Thanks for the follow! I was hoping my build might catch your eye!

I hope I might get some advice/direction from you when I start building the Reef Pi system. I am open to changes, suggestions and criticism on parts and build ideas!

Edit: I am hoping I can keep a blue tang and a yellow tang, but I'm not sure how that will work with a BTA dominated tank. Lots more research to do!

OP
OP
Idaho Mojo

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, I ordered all of the plumbing parts over this last weekend!
First shipment will be here Friday, and the second shipment on Tuesday!

I should be able to order the remaining parts for the Reef-Pi build in a couple weeks as well!

OP
OP
Idaho Mojo

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay finally an update! I recieved all of my plumbing parts which I ordered through BRS and pvcfittingsonline.com

At the same time I finally got things figured out with the sump situation with Steve.

I originally ordered a sump for their 120 gallon system to allow more room in the cabinet for a reservoir and other equipment. When I recieved the sump, I realized they had changed the sump design to include an integrated ATO reservoir, which reduced the total sump volume by approximately 20%. This wasn't going to work for me.

I contacted Steve and through a few emails, he is sending the full size sump, which will be here this week. So plumbing is at a pause for the time being until I determine locations of everything with the correct size sump.

I also decided to split open the Viparspectra lights and do a little cleaning/dusting.
I picked up a light diffuser panel from lowes, which is usually used on recessed fluorescent lighting, and measured the space I had inside the lights. I used a dremel with a cut off wheel at the highest speed, and cut a rectangle to fit in the light housing. I then popped off all the lenses, set the new diffuser panel in place, and reassembled the light. I'm hoping that this will help eliminate the disco effect and help with light dispersion.

Here are a couple pics for now! I'm hoping I can install the new sump and finish plumbing this week, then I will do a final leveling with some composite shims (since it is about 1/16th of an inch lower in the front), and start getting this thing wet (finally!)
20190608_232112.jpeg
20190608_212808.jpeg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see the effect of the diffuser panel on the lights. Have you tested it out yet not over the tank?

OP
OP
Idaho Mojo

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see the effect of the diffuser panel on the lights. Have you tested it out yet not over the tank?
I did test it and it seemed to mix the colors more, and there's definitely more area covered.
I attempted to take pictures but there was too much distortion to see the differences.
I think it will be easier to tell when they're over a filled tank with some rock in it. I'll have to pull one of the diffusers out again to do a side-by-side conparison once the tank is filled.

OP
OP
Idaho Mojo

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE! [emoji41]

Finally had some time to get the new full size sump installed and re-plumbed. I didnt realize the arrangement of the chambers were flipped around when comparing the sump from the 120 PnP vs. the sump from the 150 PnP, so I had to re-figure some things once I got it in there.

In the process of this, I managed to break a bulkhead by accidentally tweaking the attached pipe, luckily I had some extra ones on hand, and reinstalled.

I also bought a BRS CO2 Scrubber and dual GFO/Carbon reactor from a fellow R2R member. I was surprised when it arrived as it had no packing for shipping, just the glass reactors banging around together in a box. I'm lucky they did not break, as there was no fragile sticker on the package either.

I mounted those, along with the Two Little Fishies KW reactor on the left side of the sump, which took up most of the remaining room in the cabinet aside from space above the sump where I plan to mount hanging brackets for the dosing pump(s).

On Friday I recieved the HDPE board I ordered from plastic-craft.com
I made the cutout for the overflow box plus an extra 10 inches on either side of the area I cut out for the overflow box. My reason behind this was because of the euro bracing on the rimless tank reducing clearance, I needed some extra wiggle room to get the board in without cutting it in half. This also allowed me to slide the two extra cut out pieces in the back next to the overflow box, where the seams from the cut will be out of sight. It is currently floating in the tank until I get some rock in the tank.

I ordered 120 Lbs of dry base reef rock which should be here Wednesday, and then I will start aquascaping.

In the mean time, I have filled the tank and sump most of the way and used composite shims to level the stand/tank. I have the water level within 1/32 inch between any 4 corners of the tank, and I think that is as good as it will get.

I also included a picture of the view from my driveway the other evening for fun I enjoy not having any neighbors for a mile in any direction.
20190706_143111.jpeg
20190706_143423.jpeg
20190706_143516.jpeg
20190706_143458.jpeg
20190706_143440.jpeg
20190627_213335.jpeg

OP
OP
Idaho Mojo

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also forgot to add that I decided to go with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals for my salt. I'm hoping this will help to alleviate how much I will need to dose cal and mag, and will be okay for an anemone, softie and LPS dominated tank.

Does anyone have good experience using reef Crystals with nems?

By the way, I scored this 200 gallon mix from chewy.com for under $60 after tax, and free 2 day shipping. This is the cheapest I have found so far!
1562448819216.jpeg

OP
OP
Idaho Mojo

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update!

I recieved my dry reef rock from saltwateraquarium.com on Wednesday, total weight is 126 lbs. I just rinsed everything and set it out in the sun to dry.

I'm fairly happy with the variety of shapes and sizes. I ordered 3 packages of the 40lbs base rock.

I picked up some PC-11 marine grade epoxy putty, superglue gel, and 100 zip ties for aquascaping, which I am hoping to get done this week!
20190712_132108~2.jpeg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update!

I recieved my dry reef rock from saltwateraquarium.com on Wednesday, total weight is 126 lbs. I just rinsed everything and set it out in the sun to dry.

I'm fairly happy with the variety of shapes and sizes. I ordered 3 packages of the 40lbs base rock.

I picked up some PC-11 marine grade epoxy putty, superglue gel, and 100 zip ties for aquascaping, which I am hoping to get done this week!
20190712_132108~2.jpeg

Good luck! I enjoyed this part of the build the most

OP
OP
Idaho Mojo

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! I enjoyed this part of the build the most
Thank you! I am enjoying it as well! Every time I walk by the table I'm working on, I add a rock or move one around, maybe glue/ziptie one down if I really like it. I should have a nearly completed scape by this weekend [emoji41]

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back