Upgrade tank- how to transfer fish

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many may know I upgraded to a 30G in my dorm instead of the 13.5 I had. The tank is bare, has disgusting live rock, and just has a mandarin dragonet in it. My question is how should I go about moving fish, rocks, coral, etc? I have 3 islands, one arch that I am going to replace the gross rock in the 30G with, a Zoa island I'm adding, and then for moving fish, I have 2 clowns, an orchid dottyback, a watchman goby, pistol shrimp, and then a cleaner shrimp. What order should I add them, when should I move the rock from the small tank to the big one, and how should corals be handled?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i would make the move once you have the tank cleaned and cycled. you can add the fish all at the same time since they're already acquainted. depending how the rock work is, i don't foresee any issues

have any pictures?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should be able to move everything all at once.

1. Prepare enough salt water to fill the new tank, make sure it is the same salinity as your current water. Get it up to temperature before you start moving livestock.
  2. Move rock to new tank
  3. move corals
  4. Net & move fish & inverts over

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would make the move once you have the tank cleaned and cycled. you can add the fish all at the same time since they're already acquainted. depending how the rock work is, i don't foresee any issues

have any pictures?
Yeah! tank has been cycled and set up for 9 months, I have had it for 1 with only a dragonet in it for about a month. the 13.5G has been set up for 7 months. I just would like to replace the rock in the 30G with the rock from the 13.5G. The fish have been together the whole 7 months. I just dont want to overwhelm the new system since its been running at only 1 fish for a month

30GL.jpg
full tank.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah! tank has been cycled and set up for 9 months, I have had it for 1 with only a dragonet in it for about a month. the 13.5G has been set up for 7 months. I just would like to replace the rock in the 30G with the rock from the 13.5G. The fish have been together the whole 7 months. I just dont want to overwhelm the new system since its been running at only 1 fish for a month
as long as you're moving over the rock that contains the biofilter currently supporting the smaller tank, you should be fine!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back