Upgrade time, Hydra 32hd or Photon 48v2+

twistedfinn967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time to upgrade from my 7 year old 2 channel Photon 48 on my 4x2x2 120g lps/softie tank. I've been researching for a bit now and have narrowed it down to either the Photon 48v2+ or a pair of the AI Hydra 32hd. The LED game has changed considerably in 7 years and I was hoping for advice/opinions from anyone who has had either or both.

If it matters, this will be tank mounted, not suspended.

Thank you!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 4x2x2 w/hydra 32s
8E9DEB46-1F7B-4FD2-900A-13583B2D0AB3.jpeg

decisions decisions!;)

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had the Photon V2+ and Hydra 26's, I'd say go for the photon. While the Hydra's do make it easier to adjust with the mobile app and there's a mountain of reference material out there for hitting the right spectrum, they just cannot compare to the spread capabilities of the photon. As far as power the photon is an amazing light. It uses the exact same LED's that AI uses in the Hydra 26. When I ran the 48" over my 75, at 12" above the water line and the blues at 65% whites at 35% and reds at 11% it easily produced 350-400 PAR about 6" down. The light spread was so even that the entire sand bed averaged 125 PAR, only dropping to 95 in the very corners and along the back glass. With the expanded layout of LED's allows the Photon to produce minimal shadowing and closest appearance one can get to T5's in a single LED fixture compared to running multiple fixtures like the Hydra. ReefBreeders also has phenomenal support compared to AI with a very impressive 2 year warranty.

Don't get me wrong I love the hydra 26's but there are many things I miss about the Photon V2. If my wife wouldn't kill me I'd probably switch back.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 32s. 2 over a 75g tank with mostly sps. Color blending of the light is awesome, control is simple and they make the corals look really good. I updraged from 2 250w PFO MH pendants and these new Hyrdas blow away my old MHs. I did a lot of research on which LED lights to get. Radions where just to $$$$ or I would have gone G4 and then been ticked at the release of the G5 a month later. I dont like the look of Kessil 360X. Viparspectra was high on the list but I wanted more quality and control. Photon V2+ seems over priced for what it is and there just seemed to be too many people having issues dialing in a proper spectrum and there seems to be a lot of disco ball effect. I nearly got the Red Sea LED 90s but again wanted more control. All are good lights and will grow coral.

OP
OP
twistedfinn967

twistedfinn967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I was leaning heavily towards Reefbreeders based on my past experience with them. Not only do they put out a great product, Logan went above and beyond in terms of customer service for me in the past.

My interest piqued in the AI Hydra 32hd when I saw the recent BRS video on them. BRS went as far as determining the optimal height and even the best channel settings. They did a excellent job at taking the guess work out of setting up the Hydras. Kudos to them on that as they definitely rose to contender status!

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I was leaning heavily towards Reefbreeders based on my past experience with them. Not only do they put out a great product, Logan went above and beyond in terms of customer service for me in the past.

My interest piqued in the AI Hydra 32hd when I saw the recent BRS video on them. BRS went as far as determining the optimal height and even the best channel settings. They did a excellent job at taking the guess work out of setting up the Hydras. Kudos to them on that as they definitely rose to contender status!
Having experience with 26’s, I personally love them. But I would rather the photons for the spread and less shadowing. However I look at lights and say buy once cry once. I think it’s better to pay the extra money and get the lights you really want. If you get the photons or hydras, you’ll eventually look at nicer lights and go ooooo those are nice, I wish I had those. I personally would get 2 radion xr15 g4 pro’s and add a third one if you need more par for sps.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But ime you’ll get best colors from zoas under hydras with the ab+, radions ab+ , or a metal halide with a reefbrite combo.

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up getting? I am in the same dilemma for a new 36x18x24 mixed reef tank I am setting up. Deciding between 2 AI Hydra 32 or the 36" Photon 32-V2+. Cost is higher for the AI as well as mounting costs so decision, decisions.

What extra do the radions provide compared to the 2 above?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radions are a bit more powerful and have a better spectrum imo. The lighting is also much crisper than the 32’s and don’t disco ball. That being said, I have a 26hd on my tank. You won’t be disappointed by either 3 options. I personally prefer the aesthetics of the radion and 32’s. If I had extra cash, I would get the radions. You don’t really need radions unless you’re going for a sps heavy tank imo.
What did you end up getting? I am in the same dilemma for a new 36x18x24 mixed reef tank I am setting up. Deciding between 2 AI Hydra 32 or the 36" Photon 32-V2+. Cost is higher for the AI as well as mounting costs so decision, decisions.

What extra do the radions provide compared to the 2 above?

Back