upgrading 30gal into a 170 gal tank

Jrodiw76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 32 flex full of coral and about 40lbs of LR. I just setup a 170 with LR thats been in a garbage can with water for a couple of weeks from the 170 tank when I bought it.
My question is how long should I wait to add all the coral, rock and fish from the flex 32 to the 170?
Would it be safe to do it now?
The worry is the LR that was in a garbage can had some die off and I had to change the water a couple of times.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I currently have a 32 flex full of coral and about 40lbs of LR. I just setup a 170 with LR thats been in a garbage can with water for a couple of weeks from the 170 tank when I bought it.
My question is how long should I wait to add all the coral, rock and fish from the flex 32 to the 170?
Would it be safe to do it now?
The worry is the LR that was in a garbage can had some die off and I had to change the water a couple of times.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Allow your test kits to help determine that
API kits not reliable.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
smell the rock from the holding tank, don't sniff above a huge palythoa

:)

really though your nose is excellent tell, if smells normal move it all now. pre rinse any sand you are about to use, there is no benefit to instating a six day cloud here you have a way to be done and completed by today, laser clean skip cycle reef

please will you do us a favor, do not add bottled bacteria. Our ability in the hobby to reef with resolve and confidence has just about waned due to products for sell to boost bacteria, and false training that water bacteria in water need our help or boosting. you are not increasing bioloading and even if you were, what you're moving over is still active surface and now even in more dilution. We need folks to trust biology and show it, please will you do the move without bottle bac so I can post a mini article based on your outcome.

it doesnt matter what sand you are about to use; rinse it under tap water for two hours if required. cloudless perfectness

final rinse in ro to evacuate tap, now its ready.

compile all rocks above cloudless sand, you'll be on page 51 of the tank transfer thread. we never use bottle bac, we are market balancers of truth. I dont want to bombard your thread with proof links, but if you will believe me this is a no bottle bac job we have about five thousand cyclers watching each job and we don't make bad tank transfer calls, we make only good ones.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please will you do us a favor, do not add bottled bacteria. Our ability in the hobby to reef with resolve and confidence has just about waned due to products for sell to boost bacteria, and false training that water bacteria in water need our help or boosting. you are not increasing bioloading and even if you were, what you're moving over is still active surface and now even in more dilution. We need folks to trust biology and show it, please will you do the move without bottle bac so I can post a mini article based on your outcome.
Or he could just add the bottled bacteria (I and many others have had great success with Bio-Spira), and not risk losing anything. Maybe it’s not needed, but I myself would rather err on the side of caution when we’re talking about thousands of dollars in fish and corals.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jrodiw76

There are zero documented instances of loss when using pre rinsed sand transfer biology

I'll post the proof jobs if you want but just know, your upcoming job has been done on file hundreds and hundreds of times, this swarm to sell bottle bac to already cycled surfaces is real

trust me, avoid it, we can write material about making predictions in your job and then its outcome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jrodiw76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
smell the rock from the holding tank, don't sniff above a huge palythoa

:)

really though your nose is excellent tell, if smells normal move it all now. pre rinse any sand you are about to use, there is no benefit to instating a six day cloud here you have a way to be done and completed by today, laser clean skip cycle reef

it doesnt matter what sand you are about to use; rinse it under tap water for two hours if required. cloudless perfectness

final rinse in ro to evacuate tap, now its ready.

compile all rocks above cloudless sand, you'll be on page 51 of the tank transfer thread. we never use bottle bac, we are market balancers of truth. I dont want to bombard your thread with proof links, but if you will believe me this is a no bottle bac job we have about five thousand cyclers watching each job and we don't make bad tank transfer calls, we make only good ones.
I already put the live sand in but I did not rinse it. So the water is cloudy still but it continues to clear up after 24hrs. I was planning on pulling some of the sand out of the 32gal also to help seed the new tank. The 32 is only 7 months old. And I was going to transfer the water as well since the parameters are within range.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are zero documented instances of loss, Blaxsun can't report any. He can't link one, he can only make this stuff up as he goes. we didnt get to page 50 in doing these exact jobs, linkable proof, by guessing in the way Blaxsun does.
The only difference is that I’m offering an alternate suggestion (and not an original one, either), and I’m not asking the OP to risk his investment just to pad my own theories. The OP will or won’t make a decision based on his own criteria (nor will I suggest he’s taking an unnecessary risk or wasting his money either). I don’t have any ulterior motives or hidden agendas. Good luck OP!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we depend on nonvariation from our plans in the move thread, when people customize the process around bacterial concern they do things like add Prime without stating it; this causes a false ammonia reading, they then buy and input all kinds of offsets and then we aren't dealing in clean water its a mixed stew

that entire process is bad; staying the course with us on proven methods is good and even better its free.

the potential for dead bottles of bac---> those exist. It does no good to use a transfer plan that depends on bac you hope aren't dead

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
truly interested in your outcome/how the new tank looks in 48 hours after adding everything will reveal its cycle/non cycle status. clear water, normal fish after eating etc will be ideal.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Finally, a job well done logged. No bottle bac used, all rules typed here were applied there and we have an outcome to track for lifespan.

OP
OP
J

Jrodiw76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been 72hrs and all seems good. Only thing I see is the water looks somewhat cloudy. No bacteria was added.
My BTA looks very unhappy though and has me worried some.
There is no ammonia present per the test kit I have (api).
Most fish are eating except the clown goby.
I will continue to monitor.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post an updated tank pic please so we can compare to the clarity of the rinsed sand above and track them both out for a few weeks, it helps to contrast transfer methods

OP
OP
J

Jrodiw76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia still is at zero and everything looks good except the BTA. It keeps deflating and the softies are staying closed.
But the water seems clearer today.
Thanks for all the help
I will post a picture soon as I can grab one.

OP
OP
J

Jrodiw76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a diatoms outbreak now. Ammonia has never been above 0. Nitrates 3, all 8.4 phosphate 0.05
Re Cycle on algae it seems.
I did this without adding any bacteria.
But did add a couple of tangs.
Thanks for all the help.

20210910_145513.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back