Upgrading 4g -> 10g

gnubbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny - have been keeping reefs for a long time, but all of my tank "upgrades" have actually been to smaller and smaller tanks. 46 -> 20 -> 12 -> 4g. Pretty familiar with that process and since you taking a subset of the whole tank (rocks, sand, water), I never thought too much about cycling.

Against my better judgement, I recently bought a very small platinum clown for my 4g. This was obviously a bad idea and the extra load on the tank is causing problems. So, I decided to upgrade from my 4g IM to a 10g Waterbox. Extra volume + enough room to run a skimmer to help with having a very active fish.

Any advice on making the move to the bigger tank? I am moving my existing rock (plus additional dry rock) and water, but replacing the sand with fresh Arag Alive sand. Should I fill the new tank and allow to cycle first and then remove some water and move in my rocks and existing water? Or I am safe to move all at once like I have in the past?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're okay to add new rocks with your old rocks and add a bottle of biospira or Dr. Tims just to be sure.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

If your current bioload is maintained by the current rock in the 4g, the larger tank should not matter. Same rock for same bioload. I would not add any livestock for a while though while the tank matures.

Only other thing I would say is I would cure the dry rock first if it was me. I would at least clean it well with tap water then soak it in RO/DI for a week or two and check Nitrate and Phosphate levels. Would hate to find out later the rock was dirtier than I thought.

OP
OP
G

gnubbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! Not sure I can pull off finding a place to safely have some live rock sitting in water for 2~3 weeks with a toddler running around my apartment :) Am only adding one piece - so I will test over the next few weeks for both and can pull it out of the tank and try again if necessary.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I can pull off finding a place to safely have some live rock sitting in water for 2~3 weeks with a toddler running around my apartment :)

LOL. Good point. I have two girls, so I know.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 120 43.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 133 47.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back