Upgrading and Deciding Between Two Tanks - Looking For Advice

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!
I currently have a Red Sea Reefer 250 and I'm looking to upgrade to a larger tank. Ideally I was looking for something around 100-120 gallons.

My local club has a couple of tanks up for grabs and both are within the range of what I was looking for, but they're totally different styles of tank. I'm looking for a little feedback on the pros and cons, and what your thoughts are on these two setups.

Setup #1 is a Clarity Plus Acrylic tank with a single corner overflow. Tank measures 48” x 36” x 18” which would give it a weight around 118 pounds empty, and a volume of just under 135 gallons. The tank is in excellent condition, but doesn't have any additional supplies, no stand, no sump, etc. I have everything I need to set up the tank except for the stand and bulkheads. I have a 15 gallon sump I could use, or I can pick up one from a club member. There are plenty available. The long pole in the tent will be tracking down a stand.

Setup #2 is a Marineland 125 with dual corner overflows. It's a rimmed tank (not my favorite) but it comes with everything. Complete sump, skimmer, pumps, gyres, stand, lights, etc. This tank measure 72x18x22 and is glass, which gives it a weight around 240 pounds. The stand is solid oak with a canopy. I have no idea what the stand weighs, but I imagine it's incredibly heavy.

My initial thoughts:
Setup #1 is far easier to move, it has a slightly smaller footprint, and is compatible with my current light setup. I have a 4 foot long hybrid LED/T5 setup that I really like. It's taller than my Reefer, which will make it challenging to reach the bottom of the tank, but that isn't too much of a hurdle. I know acrylic scratches, but I don't have anyone at home that I would worry about damaging the tank. The seller is asking $350 for the tank. Major downside is tracking down a stand and plumbing.

Setup #2 is a complete package. It even comes with the live rock and fish. The size is going to be a hassle. I'm not sure that I have an easy way to move it. I have space for it but getting it home is going to be a trial. If I keep the canopy I'm stuck with the built in lighting. I'm not sure exactly what it is, so it might not be as good as my setup. The seller is asking $600 for the total package. This is a great deal in my opinion, but I think the price is low because of the major effort it will take to get it home (plus I have to get it down a set of stairs).

What are your thoughts? What would you choose, and why? What factors am I not considering that should play into my decision?

Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 is a reef flat, better shape imo but it is hard to reach across from front to back, works well as a peninsula (access from both sides)

Tank 2 is a big heavy fish tank, not as useful for reef applications but you can reach across it a lot easier. The top is way more difficult to work inside the tank, I would get the first one unless I was going to use the tank for a sump.

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Kris. You bring up a good point. I had considered the depth of the taller tank, but not the hassle of working around the canopy on the second one. I was leaning towards to the acrylic setup, but man...setup #2 has a lot of goodies with it which made it sound like a really good deal. I considered whether or not I could just ditch the canopy and keep my current lighting system but I think I'll have to go look at it in person to decide if that's a possibility or not. Thank you for your advice!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are two totally different systems, for sure.

I wouldn't let the weight of the glass 125 deter you. An empty 125 isn't that heavy. Two average guys can move that. Since you have a reef club, there many be people willing to help too. Just don't leave any sand in the bottom. A 4x3 box might actually be tougher, because of the width, getting though doorways or down stairs.

Now, you may like the acrylic tank better, but don't be scared of moving the 125.

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are two totally different systems, for sure.

I wouldn't let the weight of the glass 125 deter you. An empty 125 isn't that heavy. Two average guys can move that. Since you have a reef club, there many be people willing to help too. Just don't leave any sand in the bottom. A 4x3 box might actually be tougher, because of the width, getting though doorways or down stairs.

Now, you may like the acrylic tank better, but don't be scared of moving the 125.
Thanks @nereefpat . On the 125 - I'm a fairly big guy, and you're right, I can probably get some of my club guys to give me a hand. I'm not too scared of moving it, but I know it'll be some work. The tank is up and running (with livestock) and I think the owner is expecting the new owner to show up, tear it down and get it moved in a couple of hours. Part of my trepidation with that system is more the totality of it than just the weight. The stand is big, the sand and rockwork will play into, and of course the fish. It'll be a job to get it done.

The acrylic is empty and sitting in a garage. I can snag that thing on the way home from work one day. Then I have to store it while I build the system out, that I will definitely need to coordinate with my wife. She might not be keen on having a large plastic box in the basement until I can find a stand and plumbing.

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nereefpat -
Hit reply too quickly.

I meant to ask if you have any more insight on them being two totally different systems. I know that the shape obviously is different, as are overflows. But what else? Are they designed for different things? Is there a factor I'm not considering?

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minor update -
Talked with my club. Folks over there recommended against both of these tanks.

Setup #1 - They're not digging the acrylic. Several members stated they had acrylic tanks and moved away from them due to the difficulty in maintaining the display. Primary reason cited was challenges with scraping off coraline algae.

Setup #2 - Club voted hard no on the 18 inch front to back measurement. Suggestions heavily favored having at least 24 inches for fish to swim, flow, and rockscaping options. They also stated that Marineland tanks of that depth had high failure rates. If that's accurate, I can't afford a leak.

Right now it looks like I'll hold off and keep an eye out for something in glass that measures 48X24X18+ inches.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nereefpat -
Hit reply too quickly.

I meant to ask if you have any more insight on them being two totally different systems. I know that the shape obviously is different, as are overflows. But what else? Are they designed for different things? Is there a factor I'm not considering?
No, I think you have it pretty well though out. You mentioned the "different styles," and that's what I was getting at.
Acrylic vs Glass
Different shape
Rimmed glass vs (hopefully) eurobraced acrylic. The stand design is different for each.
Lighting philosophy is different for the 36" width vs 6 foot but only 18" wide
Flow philosophy from powerheads in the display is different
Different overflow styles
Likely different sump philosophies, although a 40 breeder would work okay for either.
Different aquascaping
Potentially different stocking
What fits the room better?
Etc...and I'm probably missing something too.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now it looks like I'll hold off and keep an eye out for something in glass that measures 48X24X18+ inches.
A bit of an odd dimension. Standard 48x24x24 120s are easy to find.

Glass Cages does make a 85 gallon that's 48x24x17" High.

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I think you have it pretty well though out. You mentioned the "different styles," and that's what I was getting at.
Acrylic vs Glass
Different shape
Rimmed glass vs (hopefully) eurobraced acrylic. The stand design is different for each.
Lighting philosophy is different for the 36" width vs 6 foot but only 18" wide
Flow philosophy from powerheads in the display is different
Different overflow styles
Likely different sump philosophies, although a 40 breeder would work okay for either.
Different aquascaping
Potentially different stocking
What fits the room better?
Etc...and I'm probably missing something too.
Between your thoughts and the folks in my club, I think we're all on the same page. The 18 inches was a big point of contention. They brought up some valid points with rockscaping, flow, all the stuff you mentioned.

After reflecting on it I think I'll hold fast and pick up something in glass later down the road. I'm not pressed to upgrade right now. I was doing a little looking around and got excited by a decent deal and was hoping it worked out. I'm glad I talked to you all here as well as the club. I probably would have bought one of them and been disappointed with it in a few months. I'm sure something else will come up in the next couple of months. Thank you for your advice!

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of an odd dimension. Standard 48x24x24 120s are easy to find.

Glass Cages does make a 85 gallon that's 48x24x17" High.
I more meant something at least 18 inches, potentially taller. The suggestion I got from a member was:

" SCA has some great tanks:
48x24x16 - 80 gallon display

48x24x22 - 100 gallon

48x24x24 - 120 gallon

60x24x24 - 150 gallon

72x24x24 - 180 gallon. "

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This forum amazes me. The ability to speak directly with manufacturers is fantastic. I was looking for a used tank to keep my costs down, but I will absolutely look into Glass Cages. I don't need anything custom, a standard 48x24x24 would suit me just fine.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back