Upgrading and moving inverts

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on how to get crabs, brittle stars and other inverts hiding in rocks off and out of rock when moving to a new tank? I’m not moving the rock into the new aquarium and want to make sure I get the inverts hiding moved over

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely sure as never tried but can in the week before remove rocks remove them one by one as they are grabable and any left after the week some kind of flush over a bucket or tank with pouring saltwater over the rock which is out of the water but snails stuck in rocks will be a tough one im sure.
Or if could hold the rocks up with some kind of string slightly out the water and hopefully they move towards the water each time.ovbiously dont stand there holding the string,you would need something above the tank or bucket of water to hold string and slowly raise rock every so often.
Not sure if this would work just an idea that quickly popped in my head.
Other than this its going ne break the rocks up but im sure someone had this problem before and a solution so good luck

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely sure as never tried but can in the week before remove rocks remove them one by one as they are grabable and any left after the week some kind of flush over a bucket or tank with pouring saltwater over the rock which is out of the water but snails stuck in rocks will be a tough one im sure.
Or if could hold the rocks up with some kind of string slightly out the water and hopefully they move towards the water each time.ovbiously dont stand there holding the string,you would need something above the tank or bucket of water to hold string and slowly raise rock every so often.
Not sure if this would work just an idea that quickly popped in my head.
Other than this its going ne break the rocks up but im sure someone had this problem before and a solution so good luck
Thank you
Some good ideas
The brittle star is the hardest to get and nestled inside the rocks

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the black rock in a rubber maid tub and spray/pour water onto or the rock. Should make things move around and out of the rock. I did this while doing a rip clean on my 20g and I got 2 brittle stars, a stomatella snail, a sexy shrimp and a few hermit crabs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back