Upgrading but downsizing

BuddyTheGreat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everyone’s Sunday is going well. So here’s my ordeal. I currently have my tank set up in a 36 gal bow front top fin tank. It’s ugly and it’s hard to regulate temperature and get good flow in it due to its tall and not so wide size. My tank is about a month old now and my question is. Right now it’s in the ugly phase it’s covered is diatoms. So I know my tank is going in the right direction to become mature. I bought a 22 gal long tank. (35.5”) long and (11.9”) tall. Can I transfer my live sand to the new tank? I know I can use the same water but is there some rule I don’t know about with using the sand as well?

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sand contains a whole lot of nasties that will be kicked up when moved, especially if you’re in the uglies and have had the tank set up for a while. I would say new sand

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sand contains a whole lot of nasties that will be kicked up when moved, especially if you’re in the uglies and have had the tank set up for a while. I would say new sand
I would say reuse the sand but rinsing with saltwater. Even with a lot of built up detritus there will be a lot of good stuff in it too. If rinsing all of it with salt isn't viable, just rinse most with freshwater and some in salt to seed it with. Ime the less you rock the boat during a tank transfer the better.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hope everyone’s Sunday is going well. So here’s my ordeal. I currently have my tank set up in a 36 gal bow front top fin tank. It’s ugly and it’s hard to regulate temperature and get good flow in it due to its tall and not so wide size. My tank is about a month old now and my question is. Right now it’s in the ugly phase it’s covered is diatoms. So I know my tank is going in the right direction to become mature. I bought a 22 gal long tank. (35.5”) long and (11.9”) tall. Can I transfer my live sand to the new tank? I know I can use the same water but is there some rule I don’t know about with using the sand as well?
yes - rinse the sand

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand and tank is only one month old? I would just change it over, its basically still brand new.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back