Upgrading during the corona times

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still chasing the right return pump for the eshopp nano cube sump we have in the cabinet of our corner 54 gallon tank. The stand is an odd size and the sump only has a 5"x3.5" return space. Tried Sicce Syncra (to loud for livingroom area), then tried an assortment of small Jebao and other off-brand DC pumps that were perfect size-wise, but all varied wattage back and forth enough that it would throw off the Herbie HoB overflow or start pumping to much and start sucking air from the return area. WHich would usually happen at about 3am in the morning. :confused:
Finally said to hell with it and bought a Reef Octopus Varios-2 DC that will fit without the guard on it, so plan is to heat it up with heatgun and "shrink" the guard, or cut it and shorten it physically once I'm sure the pumps working fine. The Varios-2 arrives today, so I'll be fussing with it tonight and over weekend.
Other than that I've just been getting more serious about fixing some GHA problems and watching the numbers of my different tanks. We had started out 8 month ago switching Freshwater tanks over to saltwater so had been using canister filters in 3 tanks, but have been slowly migrating to typical sump setups.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 72 build has really taken off. Got the canopy, one powerhead, another will be delivered on monday. i Might have a Bulk Reef Supply problem... I need to order another order to finish off the tank ( cheato reactor, AI hanging kits couple Hannas i need etc)

Going to start scaping the tank tonight or tomorrow i think to at least get an idea of what it will look like.

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went through that same thing with my 90g that is my anemone tank. It was badly maintained and I'm pretty sure the pumps had ran dry in the sump, skimmer, etc. It all cleaned up great and pumps repaired/replaced and alls good.

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally said to hell with it and bought a Reef Octopus Varios-2 DC that will fit without the guard on it, so plan is to heat it up with heatgun and "shrink" the guard, or cut it and shorten it physically once I'm sure the pumps working fine. The Varios-2 arrives today, so I'll be fussing with it tonight and over weekend.

So... the Varios 2 was delivered on Friday... and it was a Varios 4, which won't fit. However, that's an $70+ more expensive pump that I could use in a sump on my wife's 75 gallon. So ordered another Varios 2 that should be here this Thursday... the saga continues.
Offside of that is I had an excuse to reconfigure the DYI sump dividers in the 20g long that will be going in the wife's 75 gallon that currently has 2 canister filters on it (leftovers from our freshwater days).
I did try the Varios 4 pump in my 90 gallon's sump and it's way WAY quieter than the Simplicity 2100 pump that's in there, but it's also $100 more expensive than the Simplicty pump. I kind of have Pump envy now, or will when I get her 75 Fowler swapped over to a sump with the Varios 4.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... the Varios 2 was delivered on Friday... and it was a Varios 4, which won't fit. However, that's an $70+ more expensive pump that I could use in a sump on my wife's 75 gallon. So ordered another Varios 2 that should be here this Thursday... the saga continues.
Offside of that is I had an excuse to reconfigure the DYI sump dividers in the 20g long that will be going in the wife's 75 gallon that currently has 2 canister filters on it (leftovers from our freshwater days).
I did try the Varios 4 pump in my 90 gallon's sump and it's way WAY quieter than the Simplicity 2100 pump that's in there, but it's also $100 more expensive than the Simplicty pump. I kind of have Pump envy now, or will when I get her 75 Fowler swapped over to a sump with the Varios 4.
Varios pumps are amazing. Super quiet, not cheap, but super quiet and super reliable. I love the float valve option for added protection.

In doing some research recently, i was going to drop some$$ on a varios 6, but couldnt justify it. Found the Jebao DCA line. essentially the knockoff of the varios line. Ive used Jebao pumps before, and they are also super quiet. always heard my skimmer over it.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to snag a Varios 6 open box at Saltwaterfish.com pretty cheap and have one on a Reef Octopus skimmer. I agree, they are great pumps but expensive.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to snag a Varios 6 open box at Saltwaterfish.com pretty cheap and have one on a Reef Octopus skimmer. I agree, they are great pumps but expensive.
agreed. Im going to be running octpulse 2s on the new build, and thought of going varios for return just to keep it in the same company, but i couldnt justify it. Ill grab one of the Jebao DCA, still has the 0-10, and float valve protection like i wanted.

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problem with Jebao until recently when I went through 3 different smaller DC pumps (to fit in the NanoCube Sump) of theirs that all varied flow and were not consistent. I've not tried larger where I'm currently fine on larger pumps.

On my 90 gallon i've went the other way... I have a decent return pump, and Jabao circulation pumps. I've had no problem with those.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problem with Jebao until recently when I went through 3 different smaller DC pumps (to fit in the NanoCube Sump) of theirs that all varied flow and were not consistent. I've not tried larger where I'm currently fine on larger pumps.

On my 90 gallon i've went the other way... I have a decent return pump, and Jabao circulation pumps. I've had no problem with those.
i had a DCP 4000 on my 90 for a few years and it was great. Still have it on the shelf. Where this is a new build. ill likely just drop the 100 bucks on the new model with 0-10 volt abilities, and leave the old one on the shelf for backup.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few Jebao pumps that wouldn’t restart unless you flip the impeller you get it started. I have one on a seahorse tank like that now and I’ve been trying to decide what I wanted to replace it with.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few Jebao pumps that wouldn’t restart unless you flip the impeller you get it started. I have one on a seahorse tank like that now and I’ve been trying to decide what I wanted to replace it with.
Really! That's interesting return pump or flow pump?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest piece of gear for the new build here!
IMG_20200420_191346.jpg

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... Amazon shipped me ANOTHER Varios-4 rather than Varios-2. Second time now... wasted 2 weeks trying to get them to ship me a Varios-2.

Returned and ordered it from MarineDepot.

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Varios 2 arrived late yesterday, and it was an actual Varios 2!
Installed and all's well and quiet. The Varios have 5 steps of control via the controller included, but if you use an Apex, etc you more steps of control. I'm running this wide open and it's more than twice as quiet as the Sicce Syncra "silent" pump.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Varios 2 arrived late yesterday, and it was an actual Varios 2!
Installed and all's well and quiet. The Varios have 5 steps of control via the controller included, but if you use an Apex, etc you more steps of control. I'm running this wide open and it's more than twice as quiet as the Sicce Syncra "silent" pump.
I love octo stuff for sure. Wish I had it in my budget for the varios 6 if I'd need. Did get the octopulse and will be using them with my reef angel controller for more control.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 66 46.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back