Upgrading lights on the 180G

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180G has been up about 18 months and I'm starting to fill out better. I'm currently running 3 - xr30 gen3s and t5 hybrid. I have had the xr30s for two tanks now and ready for a change. I want to dump the t5s since I'm not a fan of changing bulbs and honestly the fixture is ugly.

My tank is a standard 180g 6ft x 2ft x 2ft. Mixed but emphasizing SPS.

The ATI Stratton lights look beautiful but I'm worried there isnt enough time on them yet to deem them reliable.

The radion G5s are the name you know so the are an option. I will probably go with xr15s this time. I feel like I could start with 4 or 5 and spread them out to get better coverage. I could always add more later as the corals require.

I have always read good things about kessil and they claim the a500x can cover 36" in a SPS tank. I'm sure people will disagree with that and say I need 3 for a 6 foot tank but since my tank is young do you think I could get away with 2 for now then add a third later?

When I started I had AI sol lights. Never used ai since. They seem to be cheaper then all the others. Any one have experience with them? I'm a bit confused on the differences and will do some reading on them but if I'm reading right I could but a prime every 12 inches and grow SPS for half the cost. I feel like there is a reason they are cheaper.

I would love to hear any other options price is always a concern but I have a 6 ft tank I expect to spend some money. I also believe a young tank doesn't need the same lighting as a mature tank does. If I can get away with less lights and add more later to same money that is a great option.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 supplementary lighting is crucial to growth and colour when using LED.
I hate changing bulbs as well.
But I can’t beat them.
Of course, just an opinion.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just bought some gnc lights for my new build and they are beautiful beasts.
But I also really like my xr30 blues on my current tank. I don't really like the kessils because of their poor cost/par and spread compared to the xr30.

I will also say the color of the my corals have gotten better and better everyday with the increased par and spread of the xr30 blue compared to the hydrs26 I had on my tank previously. But for the new build I decided to go with the gnc's because of their spread, cost, par, and availability over the strattons.
Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my new tank but I can say the GNC customer service is great.

https://www.aquariumpartners.com/product-page/gnc-blue-ray-pro

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new orpheks are pretty sick. I have 3 ocean revives on my 210g and im just adding a 60" reef breeders lumenbar V2 UV light bar instead of T5s for supplementation.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new orpheks are pretty sick. I have 3 ocean revives on my 210g and im just adding a 60" reef breeders lumenbar V2 UV light bar instead of T5s for supplementation.
I do think these newer 380 nm true uv leds might help replace the need for leds as well. Great option to add to supplement the radions instead of using the t5s. The gen 5 also have a much better color rendition on corals especially any yellow and red sps

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now we just need one or 2 uv- b led diodes and t5 and halides would be hard to justify, idk if that is possible though

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one specifically looks pretty sweet with 365nm leds
for 18 leds, its too much money. I need these 60" choices = Orphek is 42 leds for $290 ish for 5v leds AND or reefbreeders 45 leds which are 3v chips and a controller for $380 ish or close. Both have glass shields and rapidled is bare. I also think with 365 you might want a controller as that can burn coral ? I think its why both other companies stuck with near UV.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some gnc lights for my new build and they are beautiful beasts.
But I also really like my xr30 blues on my current tank. I don't really like the kessils because of their poor cost/par and spread compared to the xr30.

I will also say the color of the my corals have gotten better and better everyday with the increased par and spread of the xr30 blue compared to the hydrs26 I had on my tank previously. But for the new build I decided to go with the gnc's because of their spread, cost, par, and availability over the strattons.
Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my new tank but I can say the GNC customer service is great.

https://www.aquariumpartners.com/product-page/gnc-blue-ray-pro
Thank you for the info I have not heard of GNC before. I'll look into them as well

Back