Upgrading / Move Entire Tank to New

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my tank is so small compared to the new, what do you think about putting a bunch of new filter floss into one of the media chambers so it can become backfilled with bacteria ? Almost like a live rock? Or am I being stupid. Worried that the tank won’t fully cycle properly with the amount of media, rocks, fish and coral I own already.

Since it’s been a while it’s a waterbox 10 with roughly 8 pounds or so of live rock. Charcoal, GFO, random plugs I’ve thrown to “cook”, media balls, shells and coral. Do you think that will be enough to jump to instantly cycle as long as I throw in my two clowns? I will will be implementing Carib seas life rock (not live rock) for an add on to the new scape.
Think of it this way....

Your rock, sand, media, other filters handle your livestock already. If you take all that, place it in a new tank, what changed? Same rock, sand, filters, livestock. Maybe you added new water and a couple more rocks.
Point is, your media and rock are doing the job just fine, switching to a new tank will change nothing unless you add new livestock at the same time. Which you should wait anyway.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my tank is so small compared to the new, what do you think about putting a bunch of new filter floss into one of the media chambers so it can become backfilled with bacteria ? Almost like a live rock? Or am I being stupid. Worried that the tank won’t fully cycle properly with the amount of media, rocks, fish and coral I own already

Since it’s been a while it’s a waterbox 10 with roughly 8 pounds or so of live rock. Charcoal, GFO, random plugs I’ve thrown to “cook”, media balls, shells and coral. Do you think that will be enough to jump to instantly cycle as long as I throw in my two clowns? I will will be implementing Carib seas life rock (not live rock) for an add on to the new scape.
I don't think that's a bad idea. It's hard to tell based on your description if that'll be enough to push it over the edge, but it certainly won't hurt!

I don't remember if you have a sump area, but I LOVE the Seachem Matrix Rubble Rock for adding more biofilter. Stick it in a media bag in your current system in the dark and it is like live rock on steroids. Not a visual treat though, so something I wouldn't put in the display.

You could also go ahead and buy the carib sea rock (which I also love) and start the cycle on that in a bucket with a cheapo heater and pump (that's what I did for my display).

Time is important here too. I forget how long much longer you have until the new tank is ready, but Ideally you'd have a month or two to get any new media seeded, though that's a non-scientific, entirely anecdotal number.

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn’t bother starting over unless you’re having an issue with your current tank.
You already have a cycled tank, I would just move everything over to the new tank and run it. As long as you don’t add any new livestock, the new tank will be fine.
I have moved, started up several new tanks over the years.
When I moved my 210, that was a choir, lol!
I used a plastic kiddy pool to house my livestock for the tank move.
If you don’t already have something to use, a kiddy pool works great. Inexpensive and just works.
You don’t have anywhere near that large of a move, just move everything over to the new tank, add any additional rock and go.
Just make sure not to stir up the same bed too much.
A kids plastic shovel works well to move sand, the kind that is sold for making sand castles on the beach, lol!
Again, unless you have an issue with your existing tank, I would not start over.

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn’t bother starting over unless you’re having an issue with your current tank.
You already have a cycled tank, I would just move everything over to the new tank and run it. As long as you don’t add any new livestock, the new tank will be fine.
I have moved, started up several new tanks over the years.
When I moved my 210, that was a choir, lol!
I used a plastic kiddy pool to house my livestock for the tank move.
If you don’t already have something to use, a kiddy pool works great. Inexpensive and just works.
You don’t have anywhere near that large of a move, just move everything over to the new tank, add any additional rock and go.
Just make sure not to stir up the same bed too much.
A kids plastic shovel works well to move sand, the kind that is sold for making sand castles on the beach, lol!
Again, unless you have an issue with your existing tank, I would not start over.
Yeah I’m just worried for a new cycle… going to be introducing lots of new dry rock “Carib sea life rock” which is literally just purple rock marketing gimmick

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff everyone, one day I hope to replace my 40B with a 60b or a 75g or something....so I'm always wondering how you do it. I've moved and upgraded many Freshwater Tanks over 20 years with simplicity.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m just worried for a new cycle… going to be introducing lots of new dry rock “Carib sea life rock” which is literally just purple rock marketing gimmick
You've had a bunch of people on here telling you just adding new rock will not cause a new cycle. Is that really your worry?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

I’m adding almost triple the amount of dry rock to the new tank. That’s a lot of dead bacteria.
There is no bacteria on dry Rock, dead or alive.
You will most likely see things pop up on the dead Rock initially but it will be colonized with bacteria fairly quickly.

Boberto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone who contributed to this thread. I am doing the same thing and this information covered all my main worries.

I do have a secondary worry, if I may jump in here and ask: I am no longer worried about starting a new cycle, but are there any tips to making sure most/all of my coral survive the move? Given the main factors are the same in both tanks ( temp, ph, salt brand, salinity)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back