Upgrading Tank, keep the sand?

MaverickReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently upgrading my 120 gallon reef to a 180 gallon reef. I plan on moving everything (all livestock, rock, coral and marinepure blocks for bacteria) but I'm hung up on moving the sand. I currently have a 1 inch sandbed that I vacuum about once a month. This new setup will be mainly LPS and softies, with maybe a few SPS in the future.

I prefer the look of the sandbed, but understand there are some downsides with keeping one. Should I move the old sandbed into the new tank? Should I put new sand in the tank? Or should I go bare bottom?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's alot of work. Just get new sand. I just tore down a 25 gallon frag with a thin sand bed. Only been up for 3 months and looked pristine but it was nasty smelling.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F8616CA6-B516-4A20-8B8F-492391CED9F0.jpeg

Get one of these big box store bins and rinse, rinse, rinse. (This was new sand, but the same panning-for-gold motion would work to clean old sand.) The channels are what make the rocking-motion do the rinsing. For new sand, keep on rinsing until the water no longer runs white.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back