Upgrading tank. Multifaceted question involving algae.

pixie.hallows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a nano tank and am upgrading to a 35 gallon. I’m wanting to move this rock into the new tank but it has quite a lot of “fuzzy” algae (green when I remove it but it looks brown in the tanks). My corals are well fastened to the rock.

1. Should I move it over and introduce so much algae into the new tank?
2. What’s the best way to remove the most algae from the rock without harming my corals?
3. Best way to reduce the algae in general? I have a pretty substantial cleanup crew.

IMG_1787.jpeg IMG_1788.jpeg IMG_1784.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would use a toothbrush and scrub the areas. Rinse it off in some old tank water, then dab a little h2o2 on and let it sit for a minute. Discard the water you used for rising.
Place in New tank. Do each piece and then add what's left of old water from the old tank and top off with new salt water.
Keep up weekly for gha coming back.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a spray bottle, fill it with peroxide.
Remove as much algae you can by hand.
Brush each rock with a toothbrush, hard, then spray with peroxide.
You should see the rock bubble like a cut on your finger.
Let it sit out for a while & give it a second go.
I would then put it into the new tank & check if I got it all.

OP
OP
pixie.hallows

pixie.hallows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th corals are attached to the rock, so I don’t really want them out of the water long.

Would it be best to do a water change and use a toothbrush in the used water then dump it?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th corals are attached to the rock, so I don’t really want them out of the water long.

Would it be best to do a water change and use a toothbrush in the used water then dump it?
You can keep the corals out of water for the short time it will take to spray/dab (depending on your preference) the H2O2. While scrubbing the rock, just keep dipping it back into the water you're using to clean it in order to keep the corals from drying out.

And yes, using tank water from a WC is fine... no reason to waste new saltwater if you don't have to.

As Dburr said, you will probably need to repeat this process several times to fully get the algae under control.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coral can stay out of water for a good 10 minutes per Rock for cleaning. Possibly longer but that should be plenty of time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back