upgrading tank

twiggy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all i currently have a 30gallon tank and wa going to upgrade to a 60 gallon tank the only issue is the only pace it can fit is in the same place as the old one i wanted to use the water and rocks from the old one to help with they cycle the one i have now is allin one and no sump the new one has sump if i put the media in from the old tank water and rocks would it help much. as im not sure how i could move the old one out with the fish and corals and new one in its place bar putting it all in buckets seeting the new one up seperate and having the old one in the middle ofthe floor while the new one cycles. not sure if this makes sens hope it does .

thanks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old one has to move.
Do a small water change and keep 4 gallons of the old water in a 5 gallon bucket.
Put the new sump on the floor next to the old tank. Fill it with new water (match parameters to the old tank).
Take rock out of the all in one, rinse it off in the 5 gallon bucket and place it in the sump, until the old tank is rockless.
(You will have to move excess water from the sump into the old tank as the rock is added).
Put tank water into another clean bucket(s) and add fishes, corals, and everything you are planning to move except sand.

Remove sand after everything else is in buckets. It need to be rinsed in fresh water until there a no fines in it before you use it again.

Drain old tank, put new tank in place.
Add rinsed sand, add rock from new sump.
(set up new sump before you completely fill the new tank!)
Fill new tank, not full so that it overflows unless the new sump is in place.
Add corals, and then fish. If you have a powerhead in the tank, turn that on to provide circulation until the system is running.
Fill sump, add pumps, etc.
(I recommend a grounding probe for the sump and the tank, before the next step.)
Plug it all in and enjoy the new tank.

Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
T

twiggy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks i wasnt sure if it would be cycled enough in new one as double the size for the fish and corals to go straight back in.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks i wasnt sure if it would be cycled enough in new one as double the size for the fish and corals to go straight back in.
The rock has plenty of biological activity to handle the current biological load. Move it wet and it will be fine.
I wouldn’t add new fish to the new tank until the moved system has been running for a week or two.

Back