Upgrading to 46 Bow, help me pick my lighting

tclipse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states... $700-800 is the max I'm willing to spend, and I wouldn't be opposed to multiple fixtures. One thing I'm thinking about is a nice 23" LED fixture in the middle with a 36" 2 bulb T5 fixture across the front or back for LPS/zoas not under the LEDs/actinic supp/morning and evening. Other options would be two decent ~$300-400 LED fixtures side by side, or an all-in-one 36" T5 6 bulb or T5/MH combo. If I go with T5, I'd be using a combo of ATI/KZ/geis bulbs.

I plan on keeping mostly Zoas and LPS, with a few montiporas higher up (Superman and Chili Pepper montis are what I have now) but would like the option to add an acro colony or two later on without things being too bright for my zoas/chalices/acans.

I'm also open to doing DIY LED but don't really know much about it, but if it's easy enough, I'm up for it.. I don't mind putting in the work as long as it's a beginner friendly process, never soldered before or anything.

Here's what I've gathered so far-

T5 6 bulb
Pros- Color customization
Cons- PAR at the tank bottom

MH/T5 combo
Pros- customization, sufficient PAR
Cons- Heat, Power consumption, initial price/replacement bulbs

LED
Pros- Visual clarity, great "pop," power consumption
Cons- initial price

If you had the choice, what fixture would you choose and why? If you prefer a brand, name it.

EDIT- I'm guessing this belongs in equipment and lighting, doesn't matter to me but if a mod wants it there, go for it.

Last edited:

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother in law has a 46 bow front - He runs a Dual 150w MH Sunpod with a 36inch ReefBrite and the colors look pretty good. Personally i would love all LEDs but it can be pricey.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of a combo t5/led setup. The next thing I am going to say just my opinion: the color rendition with ecoxotic fixtures stinks. I would look at the evolution line or pay a little more for an AI sol blue.

OP
OP
tclipse

tclipse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of a combo t5/led setup. The next thing I am going to say just my opinion: the color rendition with ecoxotic fixtures stinks. I would look at the evolution line or pay a little more for an AI sol blue.

I've seen it in person and can definitely agree with that. My ideal fixture would be 2 T5's up front, 2 in the back, with a strip or two of DIY LED's down the middle... custom rig it to look nice and voila. I'm not sure how difficult the DIY LED process is though, I'd love to hear from someone who has put one together.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 the AI Sol Blue is my favorite! But if you dont go LED - i highly suggest to add a reefbrite all blue bar to either MH or T5...i did a bunch of research on just blue bars for that actinic pop and it made a world of difference on his tank!

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen it in person and can definitely agree with that. My ideal fixture would be 2 T5's up front, 2 in the back, with a strip or two of DIY LED's down the middle... custom rig it to look nice and voila. I'm not sure how difficult the DIY LED process is though, I'd love to hear from someone who has put one together.

That should be fairly easy to assemble. You can get retrofit t5's for the front and back and reefledlights has the led strips. You should be able to accomplish this for under $400.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a huge fan of T5HO lighting. A good 4 bulb tek or ati fixture with quality bulbs will serve you well considering your needs. Why spend extra money that doesn't have to be spent. Use the money you save towards other equipment and corals.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back