Can I just use any fluorescent light for my corals?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run a single Nicrew Hyperreef 100 for my 80 gal mixed reef, but that comes out to be only roughly 70 - 60 par at my topmost coral colonies with max output according to the product description on Amazon, but I want higher output to keep harder SPS alive. I can currently find a lot of T5 fluorescents for very cheap on facebook marketplace, but I'm not sure what specifics I need. Is there a specific wattage? Specific bulb? Specific fixture? I'm not sure what I'm going for, other than the light being of the size and shape T5 and it being long enough to cover my tank. Can anyone help out?

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's ridiculously low par for the top of the tank. You want 300 to 400 par on top.

Buy 2 XR30s and call it a day.
Well yes... that's why this post exists. XR30s are stupidly expensive and I'd rather get cheap but passably usable lights.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes... that's why this post exists. XR30s are stupidly expensive and I'd rather get cheap but passably usable lights.
By once cry once. A good T5 set up will work too but look at what a proper set up there costs as well. If you intend to try and keep SPS corals lights are probably one of the most essential elements to success.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheap doesn't always work in the long run....if you do a 3 year cost analysis, LED vs T5, LEDs work out cheaper albeit, initial cost is higher. Remenber, you'lll need to change out T5 bulbs after 8~12 months.....and they aren't that cheap

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheap doesn't always work in the long run....if you do a 3 year cost analysis, LED vs T5, LEDs work out cheaper albeit, initial cost is higher. Remenber, you'lll need to change out T5 bulbs after 8~12 months.....and they aren't that cheap
The thing is I can't find any high - power leds locally and I've heard reports that they're less effective than t5s and metal halides. It's also a lot more difficult to fix them when they inevitably break.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By once cry once. A good T5 set up will work too but look at what a proper set up there costs as well. If you intend to try and keep SPS corals lights are probably one of the most essential elements to success.
Yep so why xr30s? Best to get the t5 A 4 or 6 bulb would be a good place to start or halides. Both better than leds

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is I can't find any high - power leds locally and I've heard reports that they're less effective than t5s and metal halides. It's also a lot more difficult to fix them when they inevitably break.
Go on Lowe’s and look up plant or grow light LEDs thank me later. They have one that puts out 400 PAR but the blue specifically puts out 50 PAR itself. Raise or lower the light for higher or lower PAR

So many ppl say you need this you need that. I’ve been growing coral under plant lights since I’ve started and my coral been popping out heads left and right

Heck, I even used a DJ light that has dimmer and blue and purple controls and it made my corals color pop even more. If you look at new coral tech it literally resembles DJ lighting

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also curious about halides to an extent, but I can't find any aquarium specific ones for sale locally... best there are are plant lights. I've heard they grow corals better but can't find any experimental info on that.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go on Lowe’s and look up plant or grow light LEDs thank me later. They have one that puts out 400 PAR but the blue specifically puts out 50 PAR itself. Raise or lower the light for higher or lower PAR

So many ppl say you need this you need that. I’ve been growing coral under plant lights since I’ve started and my coral been popping out heads left and right

Heck, I even used a DJ light that has dimmer and blue and purple controls and it made my corals color pop even more. If you look at new coral tech it literally resembles DJ lighting
I've got a plague of hair algae and prefer if they don't grow further. Corals prefer the blue side of the spectrum whilst green stuff likes the redder - orangish side.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also curious about halides to an extent, but I can't find any aquarium specific ones for sale locally... best there are are plant lights. I've heard they grow corals better but can't find any experimental info on that.
Check out my build thread, grown by grow LED lights

The lights I have you can turn off the white and red channels and only have blue

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a plague of hair algae and prefer if they don't grow further. Corals prefer the blue side of the spectrum whilst green stuff likes the redder - orangish side.
But do they really? Corals need that red spectrum also… I run metal halides it’s got plenty of red, green, white, blue and I have zero algae.. to answer your question thou find any t5 fixture that fits your tank and grab some ati bulbs or guiessmen.. blue+ or coral plus etc.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is aquarium specific besides the bulbs. and they are available ive been stocking up on bulbs as they are a bit harder to find , but there are plenty out there.

halides Are the proven way to grow corals. Leds are the newest fad. both can work , And plenty of people have grown beautiful tanks under just t5

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 4-8 bulb 4ft t5 fixture will be more than sufficient just make sure you are getting a hood (fixture) made for the high intensity bulbs, Seeing as how you are in Canada there is probably a fairly large market from the indoor gardening community where you might be able to find some affordable used fixutres or some used MH hoods and bulbs, a 400 plus watt metal halide will grow the hell out of anything and look great doing it.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When buying lights you definitely have to do girl math. You have to figure costs over time, and LEDs are the least expensive. With T5s and MH, you are dumping in money annually and you do not have the control that you have with a decent set of LEDs. TBH, not sure why Halides are still a thing. Huge, expansive lightbulbs, and drain electricity like nothing else.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 4-8 bulb 4ft t5 fixture will be more than sufficient just make sure you are getting a hood (fixture) made for the high intensity bulbs, Seeing as how you are in Canada there is probably a fairly large market from the indoor gardening community where you might be able to find some affordable used fixutres or some used MH hoods and bulbs, a 400 plus watt metal halide will grow the hell out of anything and look great doing it.
1700168219847.png

Like these? 600 watt growth light. I'm not sure what bulbs are good for these but there's apparently an overwhelming majority confirming halides do work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back