Light help!

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After thinking about this answer, I'm thinking about some changes to my lighting.

On my 145 gallon, which is (6ft W) x (18in D) x (21in H), I run three Hydra 32s.

I started them at 40% and then over several months, increased them to 100%.

If I understand your point, I'd be better off running those lights at less intensity, becoming a "more light with less power" configuration.
I have a 6 foot long, 24 in wide, 30 in H tank .8 run 6 hydra 32 at 90%. Coral are happy and I get great coverage this way.

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the SMATFARM 60W about half a year ago and it’s been exceeding my expectations. I’ve got my eye on the 140W model for my next tank since it has separate red and green channels, which should balance out the color scheme nicely. If you end up getting it, I’d love to see some pictures.
I actually ended up going with 2 nicrew 100s but was a hard choice!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 foot long, 24 in wide, 30 in H tank .8 run 6 hydra 32 at 90%. Coral are happy and I get great coverage this way.

My main display is 6ft x 18in. I run 3 (center, left and right) at 60%

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about coverage? I had 4 till recently and felt there were gaps. Watched a lot of BRS videos on lighting and decided I needed more. I’m happy with the change but just curious.

I get ample coverage. Obviously, there will be gaps at the surface, but as you get deeper into the tank, those gaps close.

I would estimate in a tank that has a depth of 21 inches, only the first 7 inches at the surface has gaps. Below that, everything is completely illuminated.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 78 76.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back