OP
OP
blank

blank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. The mag-7 pump is extremely loud. I'm reading that it could be because I'm using 1/2 id tubing. Think I might get another pump.

OP
OP
blank

blank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my main drain doesn't start it's siphon really well. Should I drill a hole at the top of the 90 degrees elbow here?
4862f3c29d6baca5e087a97c04188073.jpg

chris31759

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to here the full siphon is having problems. You can drill a whole on top or the inside of the bottom of the 90. The top usually works better. If there is still a problem go with the low profile strainer. Maybe wait until you have the new pump. It's nice to see everything up and running.

OP
OP
blank

blank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the bulkheads on the eshopps overflow started leaking. Getting a replacement friday, hopefully this one will be perfect q.q good thing I noticed before it didn't damge my hardwood floors. Slightly disappointed...

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. The mag-7 pump is extremely loud. I'm reading that it could be because I'm using 1/2 id tubing. Think I might get another pump.

1/2" tubing? Why??? (Are you sure?)

You need new plumbing, not a new pump. Why not 1" PVC - it would be better. 1.5" would be even better, but overkill. 2" would be silly.

Switch to 1" plumbing. You'll get so much more flow that you might need a ball valve if you don't already have one.

OP
OP
blank

blank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2" tubing? Why??? (Are you sure?)

You need new plumbing, not a new pump. Why not 1" PVC - it would be better. 1.5" would be even better, but overkill. 2" would be silly.

Switch to 1" plumbing. You'll get so much more flow that you might need a ball valve if you don't already have one.
It was my impeller. Got loose somehow. Now it's really quiet. Umm. I mean, it had 1/2 output so I just went with 1/2 tubing -shrug- too late to change for now. I see no problem with it except the flow coming out the returns pretty fast. I do have ball valves on both outputs.

OP
OP
blank

blank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my impeller. Got loose somehow. Now it's really quiet. Umm. I mean, it had 1/2 output so I just went with 1/2 tubing -shrug- too late to change for now. I see no problem with it except the flow coming out the returns pretty fast. I do have ball valves on both outputs.
It's also only about 10 dollars in tubing and acouple elbows and it seems to be working fine :) I'll definitely be changing to 1" returns if something happens or I change pumps.

OP
OP
blank

blank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have to say, I'm disappointed. My 2nd eshopps Eclipse L overflow and staight out of the box it was "tested" and nuts were on pretty tight but it leaks. Just the middle one atleast.
I been reading and I think I'll silicon everything just to be sure.. cant really just get another overflow because the tank is already drilled Q.Q

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just try reseating the bulkhead first. Though silicone is not a bad idea at all.

OP
OP
blank

blank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. The struggles are real. The replacement overflow I got doesn't leak BUT my tank started to leak from the bottom corner. LUCKILY petco's dollar per gallon was going on so quickly grabbed a new one and drilled and painted it! Waiting for it to dry :) whew almost done. Well atleast the rocks are cycled now ;D

OP
OP
blank

blank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20161002_171044.jpg 20161002_171038.jpg 20161002_171031.jpg

And done! It's pretty much done cycling too. I need to still rearrange lights, do some wire clean up, and rearrange rocks. I'm awful at rockscapes so any tips would help. Q.Q

Currently-
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pile on the far left could scoot forward and right a bit and I think it would improve the look of the scape. Pretty nice though! I think you did well.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back