Upgrading to bigger tank need advice on move

Keeper5221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey so im upgrading to a bigger tank going from a 50l to 220l and am gonna move all my fish and live rock , i am going to be rinsing and using my old sand since ive read threads here saying thats fine no need to buy new sand probably use the water i have now then mix the rest to fill the tank. My question is the guy that im buying the tank off had extra live rock from his old tank that he put in his new display tank to keep live till he sold it off, can live rock bring fish disease with it ? should i quarantine the rock ? should i just give it a vinegar bath and dry it out before adding since i already have my own live rock and bacteria ? whats the best thing to do here. I wont be adding any new stocking for atleast a few weeks to keep the bioload the same for the bacteria to catch up. New lights are coming with the tank so i will be running them low and ramping it up slowly over the next couple weeks for my coral to adjust. whats the best way to move my existing stock into the bigger tank ? any advice is appreciated.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your current tank going until everything you want is transferred and settled. No need to use the old water at all. Get the new tank all setup before transferring fish or coral. That way any dust settles and you can check the parameters.

As far as using the new unknown live rock it will depend on how long he's had it setup without fish. If the rock has gone through the fallow period then things like ich are of no concern. However if you feel the need to vinegar bath it or such, it's no longer live rock at that point. Now you have dead rock with dead organics that will spike nutrients.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back