Ups delayed my package with over 20 frags in it.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered over 20 mixed sps and acros and it was shipped wednesday. It was supposed to arrive yesterday but got delayed for no reason and is suppose to arrive today. Its almost 1pm and still nothing. The girl at ups didnt help at all and just gave up on it. Im worried everything will be dead. Has anyone had coral shipments, specifically sps that took 2 days without problems? The tempature outside is in the 90s so that might help. Will they make it?

sarahgo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered over 20 mixed sps and acros and it was shipped wednesday. It was supposed to arrive yesterday but got delayed for no reason and is suppose to arrive today. Its almost 1pm and still nothing. The girl at ups didnt help at all and just gave up on it. Im worried everything will be dead. Has anyone had coral shipments, specifically sps that took 2 days without problems? The tempature outside is in the 90s so that might help. Will they make it?
Hopefully the company you order from has a contingency plan built into their packaging. However, SPS coral can become exposed for hours during low tide if they are high enough up in the wild. They might be OK?

At any rate, contact the company if you haven't already and prepare for DOA. At least you were early to let them know your order has been delayed.

That sux. Let us know what happens!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

corals handle cold temps much better then high ones. So depends how hot they get. 90s is no good.

I rarely order online since covid and will only do so in spring and fall when temps are favorable.

Last edited:

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My UPS shipment yesterday was also delayed, but for 7 hours. One of the Acro frags was already STN'ing when I received it- it's not going to make it :(

If you haven't already communicated this with the vendor, do so immediately. Chances are, there will be a lot of DOA's.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My UPS shipment yesterday was also delayed, but for 7 hours. One of the Acro frags was already STN'ing when I received it- it's not going to make it :(

If you haven't already communicated this with the vendor, do so immediately. Chances are, there will be a lot of DOA's.
That really sucks man. At least i’m not alone):

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the company you order from has a contingency plan built into their packaging. However, SPS coral can become exposed for hours during low tide if they are high enough up in the wild. They might be OK?

At any rate, contact the company if you haven't already and prepare for DOA. At least you were early to let them know your order has been delayed.

That sux. Let us know what happens!
Yeah me and the company have been talking and they are ready for a possible DOA. I’ll keep y’all updated

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Battlebox ship on a Monday and get delivered Thursday. All but one were dead and the one that’s barely hanging on was severely bleached.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the package at 7:30, so 51 hours since shipped. Most the frags is bleached or started to expell zooxanthellae. A few did make it but has color loss. Hope I can get some DOA store credit. Ups makes me madddd:mad:

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always good practice to hold at the FedEx hub for pickup. That way it doesn't have to make the extra trip and wait time from the driver to your house.
Absolutely right. As an exotics breeder/shipper I can tell you that there's no more stressful time for any animal in transit than the day of delivery spending hours in the back of a non-climate controlled vehicle after an already stressful trip. With certain animals in the past I actually required a hold for pickup or I wouldn't ship. I'm actually rather shocked that coral vendors don't do this especially with such a large and obviously valuable order.

Last edited:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had FedEx and UPS delay packages before, so this last time I ordered corals, from two different vendors, I requested my orders be held for pickup at the local HUBs. One shipped FedEx the other UPS. best experience yet.... instead of waiting/wondering all day, when they would show up, both packages were at their respective hubs an hour before they opened for the public. Picked one up, then the other, drove them hope, dipped them and they were on the frag rack within an hour and had PE an hour later.

I won't do it any other way from now on.

RGC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I provide insurance to anyone who picks up at a hub. However there are many who still do not want to. FedEx for us has had better luck. I am 30 mins from IAH in Houston and UPS opts to take live shipments from our wholesalers all over town in the truck and deliver after 5pm most times. When we have fish come in, we just tell them we will pick it up at the airport. Makes live easier and stress level for coral and fish limited. We also only ship on Tues and Wed

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both services have issues, depends a lot on where you live. During the winter, i had packages sit at Fed Ex in Memphis for 3 days before delivery on the 4 day. Most were DOA.

UPS has done better for me, but I've had a shipment delayed in Kentucky.

In some cases, local hubs are, well, just not local. The nearest for me is 75 miles.

On positive note, the vendor covered the loses except for shipping which I thought was great.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd say roughly 8 out of 10 orders I get from very reputable vendors all arrive from Fed-Ex. I know vendors communicate very closely with each other, the general consensus still leans towards Fed Ex so that's who I stick with even though I've had my own issues with them. It also helps to check weather alerts in Memphis TN is you're using Fed ex. They're prone to flash floods so it's not just the temp to watch for, big rain storms will shut them down and it's often unreported, they just tell you they don't know why.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also helps to check weather alerts in Memphis TN is you're using Fed ex. They're prone to flash floods so it's not just the temp to watch for, big rain storms will shut them down and it's often unreported, they just tell you they don't know why.
prone to flooding you say? Sounds like a great place to put your shipping hub! Great idea Fedex!

From what I understand, it isn't actual flooding that shuts them down, its the lightening. Anytime lightening is detected within 3 miles of the Fedex World Hub, the entire system, every scanner, conveyor, and trolley, comes to a screeching halt and the entire place stops until it passes.

So yes, anytime there is rain in the area, the whole place is prone to shut down.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back