UPS Delivery Predicament

oldsoul3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short I ordered an anenome, a tiger conch, & some miscellaneous coral from Corals Anonymous for overnight delivery. UPS claimed delivery on Wednesday. No package so I opened a claim.

I got a mysterious text the following morning with a picture of my package on my porch and "save them". My best guess is that this a UPS driver who either delivered the package to the wrong address or didn't deliver at all the previous day but got spooked when I opened a claim.

Amazingly, only the anenome died (its foot was absolutely destroyed and it smelled like death). It was cold that entire day/night. Around 30 degrees. The heat pack it was packed with was quoted at 20 hours. Of course, the claim was closed by UPS since the package was found and I've been struggling to file another claim (since one was already opened and closed) to recoup my losses here.

Do I have any recourse to get my money back for the anemone at the least (and ideally the $40 overnight delivery charge).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So long story short I ordered an anenome, a tiger conch, & some miscellaneous coral from Corals Anonymous for overnight delivery. UPS claimed delivery on Wednesday. No package so I opened a claim.

I got a mysterious text the following morning with a picture of my package on my porch and "save them". My best guess is that this a UPS driver who either delivered the package to the wrong address or didn't deliver at all the previous day but got spooked when I opened a claim.

Amazingly, only the anenome died (its foot was absolutely destroyed and it smelled like death). It was cold that entire day/night. Around 30 degrees. The heat pack it was packed with was quoted at 20 hours. Of course, the claim was closed by UPS since the package was found and I've been struggling to file another claim (since one was already opened and closed) to recoup my losses here.

Do I have any recourse to get my money back for the anemone at the least (and ideally the $40 overnight delivery charge).
Check with shipper and contact ups explaining no show, then showed up

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what to make of the text message. My guess...it was delivered to the wrong house. The recipient looked up the sender and saw on their website that you have to 'save them' to file a claim, hence the text (is your phone number on the shipping label).

Also, check the tracking to see what it says. I'd be nearly positive the UPS driver wasn't the one who dropped it off. I doubt they'd want to put their job in jeopardy like that. They'd probably get in less trouble missing the delivery than sneaking to your house overnight and sending you a mysterious text message.

Make a claim with the sender, not UPS. In general, only the sender can file the claim. All you should ever have to do is tell the sender about the problem, it's on them to make good on it. The sender files the claim (at least IME). Also, as a sender, I can tell you, if you push hard enough, UPS will pull the GPS logs from the truck at the time of [supposed] delivery. I've had them do that in order to prove a delivery was made to the wrong address.

Also, I see on their website, they refuse to take responsibility for UPS being late, refuse to take responsibility for UPS mishandling your delivery and refuse to refund shipping costs if there's a shipping problem. That, in my mind, is a load of horse****. That's them not standing behind what they're selling. Now, I don't know if that's just something they say on their website as a blanket disclaimer but in reality will work with you to make things right.

Personally, if I wasn't "made whole" again within a week or two (a full refund, replacement products etc), I'd dispute the charge and let my credit card and corals anonymous fight it out.

I know tons of people order tons of corals online, but this is one of the main reasons I can't bring myself to do it. Between this an the prices often being double or triple what I see in my LFS, I'd much rather pick out live ones and have them in my tank 20 minutes later. Let the LFS buy them online and deal with the DOAs.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check with shipper and contact ups explaining no show, then showed up
It sounds like UPS washed their hands of it after OP said it arrived.
It's too late now, but I think I would have told CA that it never arrived and let them [UPS] figure out where that driver was at the time it was supposedly dropped off.

The problem is, the way it stands, it's too easy for UPS and CA to make the case that you just didn't see the package or accidentally left it there overnight.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The text is creeping me out lol. Was it a text from UPS, like how they send status updates, or from a random #?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like UPS washed their hands of it after OP said it arrived.
It's too late now, but I think I would have told CA that it never arrived and let them [UPS] figure out where that driver was at the time it was supposedly dropped off.

The problem is, the way it stands, it's too easy for UPS and CA to make the case that you just didn't see the package or accidentally left it there overnight.

One of the many reasons I enjoy the cameras around my house. I can see the "delivery attempted" when they clearly drove by and never stopped.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of UPS and their overnight. I had an order last week and the dude showed up at 11 pm the next night. Thought for sure everything was lost and amazingly all corals made it

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the many reasons I enjoy the cameras around my house. I can see the "delivery attempted" when they clearly drove by and never stopped.
The problem is, while that confirms your suspicions, it's not likely to prove anything to UPS or the seller.

I had one case, probably well over 10 years ago, where the person claimed they never got their delivery. UPS all but called me a liar but finally pulled the GPS logs from the truck after they contacted the intended recipient, who said they never got it AND the person that ran the gated community who said they never let a UPS truck in that day.
And this was after they suggested it was probably just dropped off at the wrong place and I should try calling the neighbors (and I would have their phone numbers?) or that I should ask the recipient to start knocking on doors. Nope, I told UPS they could do those things, it's not my job and it's certainly not the recipients job.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is, while that confirms your suspicions, it's not likely to prove anything to UPS or the seller.

I had one case, probably well over 10 years ago, where the person claimed they never got their delivery. UPS all but called me a liar but finally pulled the GPS logs from the truck after they contacted the intended recipient, who said they never got it AND the person that ran the gated community who said they never let a UPS truck in that day.
And this was after they suggested it was probably just dropped off at the wrong place and I should try calling the neighbors (and I would have their phone numbers?) or that I should ask the recipient to start knocking on doors. Nope, I told UPS they could do those things, it's not my job and it's certainly not the recipients job.

I called one day and discussed this with the supervisor and they routed the driver back to my house. So at least in my situation, and actually not even related to my tank had the supervisor at UPS take care of me that day because I was physically home and had the video of the driver not stopping.

I'm sure just like anything else milage will vary based off the representative you talk to.

The cameras at least in my experience are a good secondary insurance policy.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called one day and discussed this with the supervisor and they routed the driver back to my house. So at least in my situation, and actually not even related to my tank had the supervisor at UPS take care of me that day because I was physically home and had the video of the driver not stopping.

I'm sure just like anything else milage will vary based off the representative you talk to.

The cameras at least in my experience are a good secondary insurance policy.
Unrelated, but I once had a driver drop off something like 30 heavyish (25#?) boxes at my work. However, instead of putting them in a spot that made sense, he made a bunch of 4-5 foot tall stacks in a narrow pathway that entirely blocked off our back door. I asked him to move them, he refused, I asked him a few more times, even trying to explain that it's not just a inconvienent, it's dangerous since (ie if there was a fire). I told him I was going to call his supervisor and he told me to 'go ahead'. Luckily for me, I just happened to have the direct line to the local dispatcher, so it's not that I was calling UPS' 800 number. I called, explained what happened and then emailed them the camera footage of...wait for it...physically climbing up and over the mountain of boxes he made in order to exit the building.

He showed back up not 5 minutes later to move the boxes.
Funny thing was, had he walked like 5 more feet and dropped them there, it would have been just fine.

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You haven't lived until you catch UPS throwing your box that clearly says live animal handle with care, thanks ring

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will forever do this and tell anyone else ordering corals online to do the same.

Ask the sender to have said item(s) held at a pickup location. Most will take a day off just to sit around the house. But if held at a pickup location you can usually pick it up around 9am and get in to work by the afternoon if you want.

OP
OP
O

oldsoul3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what to make of the text message. My guess...it was delivered to the wrong house. The recipient looked up the sender and saw on their website that you have to 'save them' to file a claim, hence the text (is your phone number on the shipping label).

Also, check the tracking to see what it says. I'd be nearly positive the UPS driver wasn't the one who dropped it off. I doubt they'd want to put their job in jeopardy like that. They'd probably get in less trouble missing the delivery than sneaking to your house overnight and sending you a mysterious text message.

Make a claim with the sender, not UPS. In general, only the sender can file the claim. All you should ever have to do is tell the sender about the problem, it's on them to make good on it. The sender files the claim (at least IME). Also, as a sender, I can tell you, if you push hard enough, UPS will pull the GPS logs from the truck at the time of [supposed] delivery. I've had them do that in order to prove a delivery was made to the wrong address.

Also, I see on their website, they refuse to take responsibility for UPS being late, refuse to take responsibility for UPS mishandling your delivery and refuse to refund shipping costs if there's a shipping problem. That, in my mind, is a load of horse****. That's them not standing behind what they're selling. Now, I don't know if that's just something they say on their website as a blanket disclaimer but in reality will work with you to make things right.

Personally, if I wasn't "made whole" again within a week or two (a full refund, replacement products etc), I'd dispute the charge and let my credit card and corals anonymous fight it out.

I know tons of people order tons of corals online, but this is one of the main reasons I can't bring myself to do it. Between this an the prices often being double or triple what I see in my LFS, I'd much rather pick out live ones and have them in my tank 20 minutes later. Let the LFS buy them online and deal with the DOAs.
Texted the number to ask if they work with UPS responded "they're a client of ours yeah what's up". So I have confirmed it was the UPS/3rd party delivery service.

I've chosen not to respond until I seller gets back to me.

OP
OP
O

oldsoul3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The text is creeping me out lol. Was it a text from UPS, like how they send status updates, or from a random #?
Random number. Texted the number today to ask if they work with UPS responded "they're a client of ours yeah what's up". So I have confirmed it was the UPS/3rd party delivery service.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what should be mandatory is that they take a pic of the package at the front door that is identifiable as the house (like a pic of the package and the house number or the package with the front door in frame). That way if it's at the wrong house it's easy for the claimant to prove it's not their house. Most of the time when I get a pic of the package package it's a closeup of the box so it could be anywhere. If I had to make a claim it would be tough to prove it's not my house. Sometimes I don't even get a pic with the notification. Interestingly I received a box of live copepods today and the driver was just stepping off my porch when I opened the door. He was just turning around to take a pic and where he was standing the pic would have clearly showed it was my house (package, front door and house number). The drive bys and not stopping is so ridiculously stupid. So many people have front door cameras that it's easy to prove they never stopped. I agree that text msg is creepy if it's not how you normally get notifications.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS does not guarantee livestock so would need to go back to the seller for anything anyway.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random number. Texted the number today to ask if they work with UPS responded "they're a client of ours yeah what's up". So I have confirmed it was the UPS/3rd party delivery service.

IDK, the text creeps me out. I would report it to ups and ask about it — not respond at all. You don’t have to give any details to ups other than someone texted you from that unfamiliar number saying their client is ups. Go through the seller and ups official customer service.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop UPS at the nearest hub and go pick it up if possible. Always makes it there before noon.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 106 76.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back