upset duncan

McCarn84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a duncan was doing great starting to add several new heads starting. a couple weeks ago they started not fully opening now they are completely closed. water tests fines most everything else is doing fine. any ideas

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any pics? Also, do you have any clowns? I had a clown harassing my duncan frag that was sprouting a new head and looked BEAUTIFUL. The clownfish bugged it so badly trying to host in it (and pick at it annoyingly) that it retracted and only came around 1/4 way out all day long for a week.

So I took the clown out and threw him in my quarantine tank which was empty at the time. Duncan came back roaring in about a day and is looking incredibly good right now!

A week later I put the clown back into the main display and it hasnt bothered the Duncan since. This has been about 2 weeks now.

OP
OP
McCarn84

McCarn84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only healthy pic is from September that was in the old 75 tank. i do have a marron clown. haven't ever seen him aroung it. he wont get that far from his nem.i moved him to a lower light lower flow part of tank.

IMG_2213.jpg IMG_1967.jpg

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
found one from ma month ago

image.jpeg
I’ve always referred to Duncan’s as the canary of the tank. When the Duncan gets unhappy, it’s usually an indication something is out of wack. What do water parameters look like?

the only other thing that could isolate an issue to the Duncan itself would be light and flow. Give them hat you went a month with it happy, I doubt that is it unless you made a change recently.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine closed up under too much flow. I just moved him to low flow and it’s back to normal. Maybe move to lower flow.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown harassing my duncan frag that was sprouting a new head and looked BEAUTIFUL. The clownfish bugged it so badly trying to host in it (and pick at it annoyingly) that it retracted and only came around 1/4 way out all day long for a week.

I had the same thing happen. I pulled the Duncan out and put it in a new tank and it came right back and started to grow a new head.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Whe this happened to me, I tested tank and everything was good.
Even the salinity . . . . at least I though so. Anything soft looked very unhappy and something told me take a sample of water to a trusted LFS for verification. Low and behold , 2 instruments matched at 1.026 and 1.025 respectively. THE WATER WAS ACTUALLY 1.030 !!!
MAY I SUGGEST, FOR A PIECE OF MIND - DO THE SAME.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ all good advise

Is it just the duncan that is unhappy? What other corals do you have?
The way you describe it is a gradual thing... opening less and less. In too high of flow, they'll often close right up in seconds.

Not saying that flow can't be the problem, but worth digging into your parameters as vetteguy53081 suggests.
Really low nitrate or phosphate can subdue them a little as well, as can the beginnings of nuisance stuff like cyano or dinos.

Have you changed anything in the past month or so?

Sometimes a quick reset will perk up an angry coral.. quick mild dip, rinse, and placement in a gentle area of the tank.

OP
OP
McCarn84

McCarn84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a torch hammer, frogspawn elegance coral candy cane some zoa's zoa's not doing to well either my elegance hasn't opened up today either he's been really happy until today. did a 20% water change yesterday today's numbers
5 phosphate 1.0 calcium 400 ph 8.0 alk is high 13.0

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a torch hammer, frogspawn elegance coral candy cane some zoa's zoa's not doing to well either my elegance hasn't opened up today either he's been really happy until today. did a 20% water change yesterday today's numbers
5 phosphate 1.0 calcium 400 ph 8.0 alk is high 13.0
13 seems really high. What do you normally run at?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those numbers should kill. Alk of 13 is high. Phosphate is 1ppm or .1ppm?

You need stability and slow, slow change.

Why is alk increasing? Are you dosing alk? Haven't heard of any salt mix w alk that high.

That leaves you with either 1 faulty testing, 2 overdosing alkalinity, or 3 incorrect salinity.

Do you run an ato?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back