Urchin ate my silicone seam - still save to keep the tank standing?

Nico_I99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20240130_151345617.jpg PXL_20240130_151549241.MP~2.jpg

Here are two pictures of one of the affected seams. I guess i had some biofilm on them and he was desperate for some..
it's only the seams at the 45° angles as well, i guess he can't reach the ones where the glass meets at a 90° angle.

Did anyone ever have similar experiences?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t keep urchins because they do chew on everything, but from what I think I am looking at the silicone between the two pieces of glass is fine, and that is where the seam strength lies.

I can’t figure out what I am looking at in the pictures, especially the first one? The coral reflections and coral in the tank(s)? Is difficult to figure out how the photo was taken. Did you submerged the camera?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t keep urchins because they do chew on everything, but from what I think I am looking at the silicone between the two pieces of glass is fine, and that is where the seam strength lies.

I can’t figure out what I am looking at in the pictures, especially the first one? The coral reflections and coral in the tank(s)? Is difficult to figure out how the photo was taken. Did you submerged the camera?
Trying to decipher that myself.. I believe we’re looking at a photo through the front pane into the back corner.. as for it being safe? It should be that’s just to protect the silicone inside the joint from scrapers etc where the permanent bond is.

OP
OP
N

Nico_I99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for the bad quality, it's rather hard to get a good picture of the seams where you can actually see the bite marks because of the angle they're at. It's a close up of one of the four seams in the front. Perhaps the folling pictures can clear it up a little.

PXL_20240223_161350926.jpg PXL_20240223_161337968.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the bad quality, it's rather hard to get a good picture of the seams where you can actually see the bite marks because of the angle they're at. It's a close up of one of the four seams in the front. Perhaps the folling pictures can clear it up a little.

PXL_20240223_161350926.jpg PXL_20240223_161337968.jpg
Got it! Makes sense now lol.. is it just a layer of the silicone or is actually all gone?

Does the tank have plastic trim on the top and bottom?

OP
OP
N

Nico_I99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! Makes sense now lol.. is it just a layer of the silicone or is actually all gone?

Does the tank have plastic trim on the top and bottom?
It's some decent chunks bitten out of it, I'd say the bite marks are ~0.8mm in depth, so it might actually be reaching the silicone in-between the glass.

And yupp, it does :)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's some decent chunks bitten out of it, I'd say the bite marks are ~0.8mm in depth, so it might actually be reaching the silicone in-between the glass.

And yupp, it does :)
I’d think you’ll be fine but couldn’t promise anything haha! The trim is the structural part of that tank the silicone is just a seal really and shouldn’t have much pressure in that area.. I’d keep a eye on the joint and see if you get sand or Corraline or anything in that joint and it will tell you the extent of the damage… it’s not gonna blow out or anything the worst case would be a leak. Being a hexagon I’d guess the majority of the silicone is on the outside unless the glass was beveled and fit up tight.

OP
OP
N

Nico_I99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d think you’ll be fine but couldn’t promise anything haha! The trim is the structural part of that tank the silicone is just a seal really and shouldn’t have much pressure in that area.. I’d keep a eye on the joint and see if you get sand or Corraline or anything in that joint and it will tell you the extent of the damage… it’s not gonna blow out or anything the worst case would be a leak.
oh no, the trim is only for looks, it's very flimsy. I could snap it with one hand, It won't hold anything on it's own, haha.

OP
OP
N

Nico_I99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d think you’ll be fine but couldn’t promise anything haha! The trim is the structural part of that tank the silicone is just a seal really and shouldn’t have much pressure in that area.. I’d keep a eye on the joint and see if you get sand or Corraline or anything in that joint and it will tell you the extent of the damage… it’s not gonna blow out or anything the worst case would be a leak. Being a hexagon I’d guess the majority of the silicone is on the outside unless the glass was beveled and fit up tight.
Here is a Video so that you can see for yourself. The trim on the bottom contains of some plastic straps glued to the glass, so that one isn't structural either :D

But you're right about the last statement, the silicone is mostly on the outside. However, there isn't much silicone overall

Attachments

• PXL_20240223_171040460.TS~2.mp4
    20.4 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 120 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back