Urchin dying

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my C urgent for a couple of months he’s been doing really good but I noticed that my water started getting really green and cloudy so I did a 75% water change waited a day and I did a 50% water change in this morning when I woke up my seat urging hasn’t moved and he lost all his spine’s pretty much he still alive but barely I have tried to give them some seaweed my ritteri is doing fine what should I do :(

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my C urgent for a couple of months he’s been doing really good but I noticed that my water started getting really green and cloudy so I did a 75% water change waited a day and I did a 50% water change in this morning when I woke up my seat urging hasn’t moved and he lost all his spine’s pretty much he still alive but barely I have tried to give them some seaweed my ritteri is doing fine what should I do :(
I would say to identify the cause then fix that. If it’s lost it’s spines it’s most likely a chemistry related issue. I’d check those and see. It could be temperature related also. I know algae buildup on urchin spines will cause it to drop them also.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they lose their spines they are already gone.

Urchins are voracious. The are just below Sea Hares in need for food. They need a lot of food and they grow fast. For me they grew too fast and then they starve to death. They really need a large tank with a constant large source of algae. Alternatively you can have an area that they can't predate to swap with. Be warned though you will be riding the line with these creatures. I am becoming more of the opinion that it isn't fair to remove them from the wild, but that is just me.

Sorry for your loss. :(

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph 8
Temp 78
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
Api
Parameters seem fine mainly high nitrates I’ve heard aren’t good for them.

Urchins are voracious. The are just below Sea Hares in need for food. They need a lot of food and they grow fast. For me they grew too fast and then they starve to death. They really need a large tank with a constant large source of algae. Alternatively you can have an area that they can't predate to swap with. Be warned though you will be riding the line with these creatures. I am becoming more of the opinion that it isn't fair to remove them from the wild, but that is just me.

From my experience I’ve had an urchin with a single spine because of a power outage and temperature loss and it’s bounced back and doing well now. I would agree if it doesn’t get tons of food it could potentially die also. I’ve seen a space requirement being an issue also, when they aren’t able to move around a lot they will lose or shorten their spines.

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am so sad because I fed him everyday idk why this happened

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters seem fine mainly high nitrates I’ve heard aren’t good for them.

From my experience I’ve had an urchin with a single spine because of a power outage and temperature loss and it’s bounced back and doing well now. I would agree if it doesn’t get tons of food it could potentially die also. I’ve seen a space requirement being an issue also, when they aren’t able to move around a lot they will lose or shorten their spines.
Yeah I moved him before in the tank I had put him in I saw he started losing his spine so I put him back in my tank and he bounced back but now he looks really bad I don’t know if it’s because when I poured the bucket in the water and the water rush on him and stressed him out

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In many cases, an urchin will drop spine needles due to a reaction to stress (perhaps from acclimation) but it is totally possible for the urchin to regenerate and do fine, granted, your water quality is good. The spines might appear to be gone but can remain in the deeper layers of skin. In some cases , even with lost needles, the urchin will still do fine in the tank and in time you can see some areas where the spines are re-growing.
Give him a stress-free environment and excellent water quality, and he may recover in time.
However, and I say however, the three most common reasons for an Urchin to lose spines are:
- Osmotic Shock - typically from a rapid decrease in salinity. This can be something as simple as adding a weeks worth of top off all at once
- high nitrate levels (above 10ppm) are some of the biggest causes for urchins not surviving
- Starvation - they are fairly easy to feed. Try an algae sheet if its' not too late
- Low Salinity. Depending on the species they do not tolerate low salinity well

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so upset he dosent even want to eat he keeps moving off of the food usually he just grabs it :(
My last suggestion would be an ICP test, I’m not sure what’s causing the issue, even @vetteguy53081 lusted the top reasons I suppose and those seem to be fine in your case. Always try a different urchin not sure

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longspines are the hardiest. Not the most desired for obvious reasons. The pencils also hardy. The tuxedos i found were the most touchy and not hardy.
I think it is swing in temp or salinity. Possibly alk and ph as well as you changed over %100 of your water in 48hrs.
Hths
D

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In many cases, an urchin will drop spine needles due to a reaction to stress (perhaps from acclimation) but it is totally possible for the urchin to regenerate and do fine, granted, your water quality is good. The spines might appear to be gone but can remain in the deeper layers of skin. In some cases , even with lost needles, the urchin will still do fine in the tank and in time you can see some areas where the spines are re-growing.
Give him a stress-free environment and excellent water quality, and he may recover in time.
However, and I say however, the three most common reasons for an Urchin to lose spines are:
- Osmotic Shock - typically from a rapid decrease in salinity. This can be something as simple as adding a weeks worth of top off all at once
- high nitrate levels (above 10ppm) are some of the biggest causes for urchins not surviving
- Starvation - they are fairly easy to feed. Try an algae sheet if its' not too late
- Low Salinity. Depending on the species they do not tolerate low salinity well
Thank you for your answer I change water every week I think I found the problem my sg was 1.20 :( I slowly added more salt over time I tried to give him a sheet he didn’t take it I hope he will perk up I am so upset he was doing so well I did a 100% water change and will never do that again in short period and of time I hope it’s not to late I put my lights on low or would you recommend shutting them off

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for your answer I change water every week I think I found the problem my sg was 1.20 :( I slowly added more salt over time I tried to give him a sheet he didn’t take it I hope he will perk up I am so upset he was doing so well I did a 100% water change and will never do that again in short period and of time I hope it’s not to late I put my lights on low or would you recommend shutting them off
Great !! Sometimes a second eye or thought springs the light bulb into action.

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hated the water like that and I was worried that the anemone was gonna die because that was my mistake last time I put the fish in cloudy water because I thought it was just Sand that’s didn’t settle in the fish end up passing away so I was worried about the anemonee and now I’m worried about my sea urchin :(

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back