urchin for 20g nano reef?

  • Thread starter Thread starter katsreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

katsreef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2022
Messages
441
Reaction score
165
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g long and am considering getting an urchin. I do not mind feeding it nori if there is inadequate algae. I also will buy hats to lower the chances of it wearing frags haha.
What urchins would do well in a 20g? I'm considering the purple pincushion as it looks the nicest to me, would this be okay? Or should I go with blue/red tuxedo urchin or halloween urchin?

purple pincushion.png
 
I have a pincushion in my 16 and it has more than enough food! Honestly I may even have to get either another urchin or a turbo snail. Only thing it can really get to is the hair algae that grows in the little crevices. I've had a tuxedo and pincushion and I prefer the pincushion - much more active and more inclined to wear "hats." I'd say go for it!
 
I have a 20g long and am considering getting an urchin. I do not mind feeding it nori if there is inadequate algae. I also will buy hats to lower the chances of it wearing frags haha.
What urchins would do well in a 20g? I'm considering the purple pincushion as it looks the nicest to me, would this be okay? Or should I go with blue/red tuxedo urchin or halloween urchin?

purple pincushion.png
I favor a pencil as they dont drag frags and rock around
 
I have a pincushion in my 16 and it has more than enough food! Honestly I may even have to get either another urchin or a turbo snail. Only thing it can really get to is the hair algae that grows in the little crevices. I've had a tuxedo and pincushion and I prefer the pincushion - much more active and more inclined to wear "hats." I'd say go for it!
I'm glad to hear the one I wanted more is the preferred one! Thank you :)
 
I have a Tuxedo in my 33 gal system (22 gal display with 11 gal sump). I’ve had no issues with him. He’s always grazing along the rocks and glass after lights out, which is when he does all his work. Just make sure he’s well fed and that all your corals are secured.
 

Attachments

  • 3B8C52F0-B995-463A-83E2-F0C91EA158B9.jpeg
    3B8C52F0-B995-463A-83E2-F0C91EA158B9.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 265
I've had a pencil urchin in my 20g tall tank in my classroom for about 6 years now. The kids like him as much or more than the fish. He doesn't require anything special and he doesn't disturb any coral.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new