Urchin Identification. Found in my tank.

ifwisheswerefishes

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 19, 2020
Messages
60
Reaction score
33
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchin Identification please. Found this little guy after lights out. I did not buy him. I would like to know if anyone knows what it is, and if it is reef safe. Hope the photo loaded well.
Thank you in advance.



IMG_4541.jpeg
 
I have mostly Marco rocks but have gotten a few real rocks lately that don’t really have many crevices or I may have noticed the Urchin. It may have come in as a tiny thing from big zooanthid colonies and grew to noticeable size. Thank you for your reply.
 
Upvote 0
It may have come in as a tiny thing from big zooanthid colonies and grew to noticeable size.

I had a red slate pencil urchin hitchhike into my tank as a spiky pancake-shaped, ~1/2” diameter juvenile on a single piece of live rock, it’s around 3” diameter now…

IMG_2772.jpeg


That is to say, it’s not unheard of!
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new