Urchin-Keep cleaning him or let it ride?

Coach63

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2015
Messages
186
Reaction score
52
Location
West Knoxville
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BDD4A3F8-6842-4B5E-8768-F57E9A10D393.jpeg
I have an Urchin that keeps picking up sand and other assorted debris while he moves about the tank. Do I keep cleaning him off or just leave it alone? My first Urchin so I am a bit lost. Thanks for the input!
 
BDD4A3F8-6842-4B5E-8768-F57E9A10D393.jpeg
I have an Urchin that keeps picking up sand and other assorted debris while he moves about the tank. Do I keep cleaning him off or just leave it alone? My first Urchin so I am a bit lost. Thanks for the input!
Let it ride.
He wants camouflage to feel safe.

:)
 
You should let him be unless he picks up live snails, coral frags etc. it’s completely normal behavior.
 
Mine picked up a red leg hermit the other day and was cruising around lol.
 
He's _going_ to pick things up. I suspect that a majority of short-spined urchins do. Empty shells are harmless. Frag plugs covered with zoanthids are annoying. I've seen one photo of one wearing a Barbie-hat ... that was amusing.

~Bruce
 
This is ours .... I don't know where he found the patch of algae. .. but I'm guessing he is saving it for a snack for later.... ;Hilarious:p;Lurking

20180311_133606.jpg
 
Also note the pally on it as well..... I thought I secured it. .. nope:eek:;Facepalm

received_10157107472999368.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new