Urchin losing spines?

Wilkerson.reed

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2016
Messages
188
Reaction score
22
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an urchin and a few snails and started to acclimate them... I drip acclimate in a bucket. When I put the urchin in the bucket, I saw a few spines come with it and are just sitting in the bucket...
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1456363827.953246.jpg

It's hard to tell but the blackish colored dot looking things in the water are spines. Is it just stressed? Will they grow back? Should I be concerned?
 
I'm no expert with urchins but I have had a few. I have had long spine urchins and Halloween urchin/ Royal urchin and normally just moving them they brake spines and I do think they grow back. I think you only have to worrie when they start getting large bare spots or turn inside out. There was another thread on here, the urchin looked like it was turning inside out only had spines on top. I would just watch it. And see how it dose. Good luck
 
It doesnt look stressed, its feelers are all out! they grow back their spikes really quickly
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new