Urchins and tank size

ThunderGoose

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2016
Messages
938
Reaction score
1,176
Location
Beverly, Mass
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon ID tank with 2 urchins - a nice female tuxedo (she has "spawned") and a roughly 4 inch hitchhiker who came in on live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. The unknown hh urchin has been scouring the rock, exposing the white under the algae (I think it's her but I have a lot of different inverts). I'm thinking there's not enough food / too many competitors. I do feed Nori several times a week.

Should I rehome the bigger urchin? Could it be something else? I have a starfish, black elephant limpet, money cowrie, snails, mini hermits. She's fun to watch but I have no plans to get a bigger tank anytime soon.

Thanks
 
I had an urchin that would leave a trail of white wherever it went. Probably just how it eats. I'd just re-home the unknown one and keep the tuxedo. I think the min tank size for a tuxedo is 20g. The unknown one who knows.
 
That sounds like the work of an urchin to me, mine goes around and eats coralline algae and in the process will usually make the rock white where it has eaten. Urchins really don't need a whole lot to eat but it does look like it is getting fairly large and may cause some problems with knocking stuff over, stabbing corals with their spines, or picking up and moving small rocks around.

If you feel like its not getting enough to eat (i.e. all your rocks are white) you can stick nori in it's path or shove it in a crevice in the rock for the urchin to find later. If you think it's getting too big I would try rehoming it first or donating it to a local aquarium (if they determine it's a local species).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new