Urchins

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to get a few small ones for my 400g. I have some thick coraline on the bottom of the tank and figure they can snack on it as well as everywhere else.

Any suggestions on which ones or where to purchase?

I’ve had a tuxedo and he was a good man until he started moving everything I didn’t have epoxied down.

kirbuno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Halloween. He's great, beautiful and he's also a bit of a collector, I think all most are, but still wouldn't trade him.
95647912bd52f7cc802e6b960f28a5b1.jpg

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is something magical about an urchin. I'm considering a long spine - I think it looks the best. I am not concerned with an urchin that moves things - I will epoxy my rocks - I am more concerned if they can damage corals. Anyhow looking forward to more comments in this thread. The Halloween looks like a great choice - adding it to my list (I am building a 145G so I am sure I can fit 2 in;))

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I had a long spined urchin in my old 150 and everything was really glued down. These guys are bulldozers, and will mow your coral over if it doesn’t move. I had several acros, birdnest, and other corals just get trampled. Plus another bad thing is, when they drop their spines they land in the sand. I would be very careful sticking your hands in there. When I had to move my sand bed, I used a kiddies rake and shovel. In terms of being careful, I can’t stress it enough when your in the tank. A friend of mine was poked by three of them at once, and they are beyond sharp. They also can release some toxins into your skin making it worse. If you do get stuck, do not pull them out, I would go to an urgent care or er. They have barbs on the end of them, and if you break them off, it can lead to infection.

With that said, lol if they didn’t mow my acros over I would love another one. They are so adorable and plus they have those bright blue eyes.

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I had a long spined urchin in my old 150 and everything was really glued down. These guys are bulldozers, and will mow your coral over if it doesn’t move. I had several acros, birdnest, and other corals just get trampled. Plus another bad thing is, when they drop their spines they land in the sand. I would be very careful sticking your hands in there. When I had to move my sand bed, I used a kiddies rake and shovel. In terms of being careful, I can’t stress it enough when your in the tank. A friend of mine was poked by three of them at once, and they are beyond sharp. They also can release some toxins into your skin making it worse. If you do get stuck, do not pull them out, I would go to an urgent care or er. They have barbs on the end of them, and if you break them off, it can lead to infection.

With that said, lol if they didn’t mow my acros over I would love another one. They are so adorable and plus they have those bright blue eyes.
Thanks Sarah - halfway through it was off my list - now I am not so sure - probably just leave it off the list till the corals are established and then consider if I really want it ;)

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Sarah - halfway through it was off my list - now I am not so sure - probably just leave it off the list till the corals are established and then consider if I really want it ;)

Hello,

They are really truly amazing little critters, just tank wreckers lol. It’s does not matter if they have grown and encrusted, they will plow it over. I check my tank everyday so I could always find them and glue them back on. It’s bad when they fall and you can’t find them. Then it hurts just a little bit but they grow back. Also the coral line is kinda pretty and they will strip it from the rock in now time at all.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll never have a tank without an urchin again. They’re the absolute best algae eaters in the hobby. Yes they can pick up and move things but if you realize that ahead of time it’s not that bad. I have a 4” wide pincushion urchin. And it’s never been able to pick up anything actually glued down. One urchin alone will do the work of a a couple dozen snails and a couple tangs in my experience. My 90 gallon is down to 2 snails that literally live on the frag rack and keep it clean all the time. Otherwise my urchin is my only mobile invert CUC member. One man wolf pack

OP
OP
lolgranny

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins are definitely crazy with stealing thing!

Anyone know where to get ahold of a couple small pincushions? I think I’ll go that route again once I get the frags all mounted. They are awesome for cleaning

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back