OP
F

forestzoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to look into that...i didn't know there was such a thing!

If it doesn't go into the trap overnight I was considering filling up the weir with filter sponges to raise it up near the top and be easier to catch. We will see what tonight brings!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also try a pvc pipe, one end open with a line attached, the other a slotted end. When the fish sleeps hopefully will be in the pipe. Pull the pipe out quickly before has a chance to escape.

OP
OP
F

forestzoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a kids pop bottle in with some sand in the bottom and thawed mysis. That's how I've been trying to trap it in so similar idea as it usually sleeps in a tiny cave at sand level under a rock. Lights are dimming for the night now and i just checked. The thing was actually swimming near the top but I wasn't quick enough to grab the net! Hopefully boredom is setting in for it after 24hrs and that will make it easier to catch!

OP
OP
F

forestzoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update and not a great one, unfortunately. The wrasse remained stubborn.

I lost my lawnmower Blenny and Coral Beauty the day after. Pulled them out, no marks, spots, odd behaviour, lack of feeding, anything. Took them to LFS to along with a water sample. All ok And they suggested a toxin maybe had got into the tank.

I don't allow any air fresheners, cleaning products etc in the room so was sceptical but tried the polywool in the sump. 48 hours later I lost 1 clown (the female) and the bi-colour angel.

Bought new test kits. Both kits reading the same, no issues.

A week and no issues. Then late at night ie 3am the remaining clown seemed to develop a bit of white (brook?) but settled in his normal spot to sleep. Dead next morning at 8am.

The wrasse actually jumped out of the weir later that day, unseen and via a 2cm max gap. (Yes weir was immediately covered with mesh...but 2cm??? Little buggar must have literally climbed out!) Still covered in same spots, still feeding, still as much of a character.

Dead 3 days later with no change.

Last fish standing is Herbie the long nosed Hawk. A week alone now, and confused. Him and the cleaner shrimp just don't know what to do as there is only so much interaction they can do before they annoy each other.

I now have a QT tank. Too late I know, but all a learning curve.

The problem I have is that NONE of the fish except the wrasse, and in the last few hours the clown, had any symptoms or spots etc. So I actually have no clue what caused the deaths. I did catch my 12 yo spraying a burst of air freshener. This was the night before the 1st clown died. (And if nothing else it's reiterated WHY I have a ban on stuff like this) but I don't think this was the issue due to the deaths prior...she swears blind it's not the case and I do believe her tbh.

So, I have the long nosed Hawk left. He has been a week alone, and hasn't changed behaviour or feeding at all through all this.

Corals and inverts doing v v well btw.

My dilemma is: do I move Herbie to the cube tank and leave the main tank fallow for 3 months (bar corals and inverts) , leave Bernie alone, or move Herbie to what will eventually be the QT?

I can't treat Herbie in a QT as I still have no clue what the issue was.

If I leave him in main tank, he may be a carrier with immunity? And as long as he is there any parasite survives?

If I move him permanently to what will be the QT tank, what will be the affect on him if I have to dose anything?

QT tank is 4ft, (not filled yet) but will be bare bottom and no LR. No sump but HOB filter.

TIA

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have velvet as someone else stated previously...put any survivors in qt and fallow the display. Start treating

OP
OP
F

forestzoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have velvet as someone else stated previously...put any survivors in qt and fallow the display. Start treating
NO symptoms on any other fish. I thought velvet was quick but obvious? It's been almost 2.5 weeks from spots on wrasse to any deaths? (I didn't post here 1st, sorry).

Was devastated at losing 2, then nothing for a week, then 3 in 48 hrs.

Really am unsure what to do tbh.. have been advised to both remove hawk and leave him in..am concerned that if it IS a parasite, it's in the tank..But... he is healthy so do I just remove Him? If he is a carrier...of what??? .is he going to just going to infect QT?

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet can harbor in some fish for a couple weeks before it takes effect. There are some other posts on here explaining it in detail if you just do a search

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would qt and observe the hawkfish.

Several water changes on the DT if it is contamination.

Then a black molly test, if the hawkfish developed immunity he wont show symptoms.

Perhaps a black molly to test the DT for ich or velvet.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back