URGENT!! Bulkhead leaking in tank upgrade

  • Thread starter Thread starter drayven54
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

drayven54

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 26, 2022
Messages
39
Reaction score
21
Location
Northwestern Wisconsin
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at a loss, we attempted to fill the tank and it leaks from the bulkheads that connect the overflow to the tank, it's not overtightened and there's a gasket on both the inside and the outside. I have two ideas, either I can't get it tight enough with my hand, or the gasket is wet and not sealing properly and causing the tank to leak

Snapchat-2072287052.jpg Snapchat-1176022899.jpg
 
I would only use a gasket on the water side not the nut side it's easier to tighten and I've used a wrench on them many times just be careful your not tightening a head bolt
 
It needs to be tighter than just hand tight, use a pair of channel locks opened up to get on the nut, just a bit past snug is really all that is needed to stop a bulkhead from leaking. Water on the seal won't matter it'll still seal.
 
Can you elaborate for anyone finding this thread in the future?

Do you mean that the overflow box needed support for its weight?
All I did was built a wooden spacer to put under all the plumbing 90's in the back of the tank, the weight of the plumbing was pulling on the overflow box which was making it seal improperly. It's a modular marine overflow
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new