Urgent help!!! Clownfish illness

candymonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sebae clownfish pair have been with me for a month now. In past couple of days they have started changing colors on their fins smaller fish have increase in yellow colors on fins and bigger one has reduction in yellow on its fins. Yesterday morning I tested my water for ph it is 8.8 (used to be 8.4 last week) and my scale only goes to 8.8. I put 5 ml vinegar yesterday night. No change in ph. From today morning I could see white mucus like layer and small dots on them (barely visible on my mobile camera video) I'm new to marine aquarium so according to photos looks like velvet to me. But behaviour if fine they it fine only thing is they were scraping their gills on sand yesterday. (does not look like ick if it looks same on freshwater fish). Only medication I could find is hydrogen peroxide and potassium permanganate
I only have one quarantine tank and I'm supposed to receive coral beauty tomorrow which 1 ordered weeks ago. What can I do? Please any suggestion is
appreciated.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This sebae clownfish pair have been with me for a month now. In past couple of days they have started changing colors on their fins smaller fish have increase in yellow colors on fins and bigger one has reduction in yellow on its fins. Yesterday morning I tested my water for ph it is 8.8 (used to be 8.4 last week) and my scale only goes to 8.8. I put 5 ml vinegar yesterday night. No change in ph. From today morning I could see white mucus like layer and small dots on them (barely visible on my mobile camera video) I'm new to marine aquarium so according to photos looks like velvet to me. But behaviour if fine they it fine only thing is they were scraping their gills on sand yesterday. (does not look like ick if it looks same on freshwater fish). Only medication I could find is hydrogen peroxide and potassium permanganate
I only have one quarantine tank and I'm supposed to receive coral beauty tomorrow which 1 ordered weeks ago. What can I do? Please any suggestion is
appreciated.
sebae clowns have natural yellow on their fins. Please post pics under white lighting for confrmation

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First - how do you think your pH got to 8.8? Second depending on the volume of your tank, 5 ml of vinegar will likely not change the pH - but can cause other issues. Unless you're adding something it will go down on its own. Also - your test kit may not be correct - I would verify the values.

The spots, scratching, and appearance suggest some kind of illness. Did you quarantine the fish? A number of things are possible - as @vetteguy53081 said a picture with white light would be helpful. As to peroxide/permanganate - I would suggest you find some copper based aquarium product and follow the usual protocol posted above IF it's decided that you have an illness playing a role.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful adding anything to the tank for now untill you get the advice from the experts. Vinegar is essentially carbon dosing and you might bring on a big bacteria bloom and that might cause more problems.

OP
OP
C

candymonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - how do you think your pH got to 8.8? Second depending on the volume of your tank, 5 ml of vinegar will likely not change the pH - but can cause other issues. Unless you're adding something it will go down on its own. Also - your test kit may not be correct - I would verify the values.

The spots, scratching, and appearance suggest some kind of illness. Did you quarantine the fish? A number of things are possible - as @vetteguy53081 said a picture with white light would be helpful. As to peroxide/permanganate - I would suggest you find some copper based aquarium product and follow the usual protocol posted above IF it's decided that you have an illness playing a role.
I do not dose or add anything to my tank except I have added activated carbon 2 weeks ago. I think my test kit might be at fault. My amonia level also shows to be 1. Did a water change no changes in reading of amonia.
While I put my coral beauty in quarantine tank can I do hydrogen peroxide bath and put them back in my display? If I order copper based medication it will arrive 7 days later.
I could not add photos in white light as of now. I will try to get it. I have diy led lighting where I do not have any control over spectrum. It is a fiah only tank. Corals are illegal in india
One more thought could it be clownfish disease as I read marine velvet can kill fish within few hours. My fish are well behaving for a day now

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do not dose or add anything to my tank except I have added activated carbon 2 weeks ago. I think my test kit might be at fault. My amonia level also shows to be 1. Did a water change no changes in reading of amonia.
While I put my coral beauty in quarantine tank can I do hydrogen peroxide bath and put them back in my display? If I order copper based medication it will arrive 7 days later.
I could not add photos in white light as of now. I will try to get it. I have diy led lighting where I do not have any control over spectrum. It is a fiah only tank. Corals are illegal in india
One more thought could it be clownfish disease as I read marine velvet can kill fish within few hours. My fish are well behaving for a day now
I have no faith in peroxide bath and would recommend a ruby bath which will address velvet- IF velvet
Ammonia at one is not good and I would do a water change for now and post pics to verify if you have velvet or what it may be
As for clown pigments, if the yellow is like this- Normal

1689439295418.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

In this case, a video of the fish is going to tell us a lot. You can link to YouTube if that makes it easier.

The 1 ppm ammonia can be fatal to the fish at a high pH. If the ammonia level is still climbing, you can see a situation where even large water changes won’t help.

Jay

OP
OP
C

candymonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

In this case, a video of the fish is going to tell us a lot. You can link to YouTube if that makes it easier.

The 1 ppm ammonia can be fatal to the fish at a high pH. If the ammonia level is still climbing, you can see a situation where even large water changes won’t help.

Jay
Did a water change couldn't do bath as I can't catch the fish ph dropped to 8.4 amonia dropped to 0.25 planning to do a water change every 3 days till amonia is zero. Whitish things on the fish significantly reduced it was mucus not velvet or ick I think. Found the culprit for amonia. Unclean mechanical filters!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back