Urgent help on torch coral!

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won the jersey corals giveaway, and won a gold Indonesian torch. It is the first high end coral I’ve ever had! I really don’t want to kill it. My frogspawn is not doing the best at the moment so I’m worried that the torch won’t either. But my hammer is doing amazing so? I am going to drop acclamate the torch, then dip it in revive, then put it into a spot that has in between low and medium light and about medium flow. Is there anything else I can do to ensure it’s survival? I’ve never owned a torch and despite researching constantly, are the any other things about torches I should know? Also are Indo torches easier than Aussie torches? Thankyou all.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sounds like you are on the right track. However, I honestly never drip acclimate corals and never had any losses. I just acclimate them to tank temp, dip, and add to tank.

Torches generally like medium light with some flow which you already said. Make sure to have your water parameters stable. Also, I believe indo torches are easier than Aussie.

Good luck with your new torch and please post some pics!

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are on the right track. However, I honestly never drip acclimate corals and never had any losses. I just acclimate them to tank temp, dip, and add to tank.

Torches generally like medium light with some flow which you already said. Make sure to have your water parameters stable. Also, I believe indo torches are easier than Aussie.

Good luck with your new torch and please post some pics!
Thankyou. Yes, I will post a few tank updates every now and then

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your tank parameters don’t change or spike out of no where, the slightest change can tick it off to the point of death. I agree with what’s posted above, never had to drip acclimate them(I have lost 2 torches, but that’s due to crappy shipping methods) then dip in revive! Watch it closely!

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your tank parameters don’t change or spike out of no where, the slightest change can tick it off to the point of death. I agree with what’s posted above, never had to drip acclimate them(I have lost 2 torches, but that’s due to crappy shipping methods) then dip in revive! Watch it closely!
My tank is mostly stable but it is not completely stable yet as it is only 2 weeks old. Should I feed the torch? I feed my other euphilia 2 times a week. Is that good for torches too?

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is mostly stable but it is not completely stable yet as it is only 2 weeks old. Should I feed the torch? I feed my other euphilia 2 times a week. Is that good for torches too?
If your tank is only 2 weeks old, it’s susceptible to any significant change. Torches prefer meaty food like mysis shrimp, but with a tank this young you should do water changes after you feed to keep ammonia/nitrate from spiking

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is only 2 weeks old, it’s susceptible to any significant change. Torches prefer meaty food like mysis shrimp, but with a tank this young you should do water changes after you feed to keep ammonia/nitrate from spiking
Well I had an old tank and I wanted to upgrade so most of the rock is live, and I have 2 liters of live Seachem matrix. It is only a 25 gal tank so it has a lot of biological filter action, and a protein skimmer for up to a 35 gallon tank, and 10 mangroves with some macro, so I think I have enough nutrients export. Here is a picture of the coral

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 141

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had an old tank and I wanted to upgrade so most of the rock is live, and I have 2 liters of live Seachem matrix. It is only a 25 gal tank so it has a lot of biological filter action, and a protein skimmer for up to a 35 gallon tank, and 10 mangroves with some macro, so I think I have enough nutrients export. Here is a picture of the coral
The torch looks pretty happy! And may I say, the rock work looks awesome...! I’m getting a mangrove here soon!

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The torch looks pretty happy! And may I say, the rock work looks awesome...! I’m getting a mangrove here soon!
It is happy now

Attachments

• BFA34AC3-D314-42C1-94E1-D9BDB763F483.jpeg
    BFA34AC3-D314-42C1-94E1-D9BDB763F483.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 74
  • A85287C3-F191-4214-90F1-369C992BF73C.jpeg
    A85287C3-F191-4214-90F1-369C992BF73C.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 76

zaq11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won the jersey corals giveaway, and won a gold Indonesian torch. It is the first high end coral I’ve ever had! I really don’t want to kill it. My frogspawn is not doing the best at the moment so I’m worried that the torch won’t either. But my hammer is doing amazing so? I am going to drop acclamate the torch, then dip it in revive, then put it into a spot that has in between low and medium light and about medium flow. Is there anything else I can do to ensure it’s survival? I’ve never owned a torch and despite researching constantly, are the any other things about torches I should know? Also are Indo torches easier than Aussie torches? Thankyou all.
keep the tank parameters within normal range and avoid keep it on high flow current and keep away from other coral because it sting the close coral

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back