Urgent* Steve’s LED/Red Sea 130d

Hightower105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in need of some serious help! I bought a Red Sea Max 130d with Steve’s led/hurricane x version 5.1. I was sent the acclimation guide for 4 channel, my setup is 2 channel. Channel 1 seems to be whites, channel 2 is blue. I have a few fish and just put a Zoa in. I have no idea how to program this. The channel adjustments don’t make sense. Channel 1 when I turn the % up, gets brighter, channel 2 only gets brighter when I decrease %. They also never shut off at night even at 0. I have to unplug them. I have no
Clue how to determine what % these channels need to be at to not bleach my coral and grow them instead. I’ve emailed with no response. Does anyone have recommendations? Even if it means getting a new light setup, what can I get for this size tank even if that means removing the hood. Im new to lighting upgrades and want something that will grow coral and also look great. Thank you.

image.jpg image.jpg

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have the older style Steve's LED upgrade on this exact same tank. The controller is different but hopefully I can shed some light so to speak. On mine Chanel 1 is whites and channel 2 is blues. Sounds like the percentages might be flipped and you need to compensate for that so 15% would be 85% etc if that's the case. I would reach out to their customer service. On mine I found the programming to be challenging so what I ultimately decided on is this: both are set to 45% and are turned on and off by a timer. Installed at 10% and slowly increased the percentage until I got where I wanted. 45% turned out to be the sweet spot. I have aps up high and LPS down lower. Also have a derassa clam on the sanded. I love the Steve's led kit and don't think there is a better lighting option for this tank since I love the look with the hood on. If you want to remove the hood and hang a light over the tank then there are many options.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in need of some serious help! I bought a Red Sea Max 130d with Steve’s led/hurricane x version 5.1. I was sent the acclimation guide for 4 channel, my setup is 2 channel. Channel 1 seems to be whites, channel 2 is blue. I have a few fish and just put a Zoa in. I have no idea how to program this. The channel adjustments don’t make sense. Channel 1 when I turn the % up, gets brighter, channel 2 only gets brighter when I decrease %. They also never shut off at night even at 0. I have to unplug them. I have no
Clue how to determine what % these channels need to be at to not bleach my coral and grow them instead. I’ve emailed with no response. Does anyone have recommendations? Even if it means getting a new light setup, what can I get for this size tank even if that means removing the hood. Im new to lighting upgrades and want something that will grow coral and also look great. Thank you.

image.jpg image.jpg

your decrease is an increase is sort of baffeling though there are some led drivers (like some
Buck Pucks) that go backwards. 0=100% 100 = off.
And some controllers can compensate with a setting BUT don't see that setting in Steves manual included above.
Need more info on the drivers hooked to it.

Sometimes you need to be careful with the clock.. Setting things on midnight ect can cause issues.

Last and uncommon you can have leakage voltage somewhere keeping the leds on.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back