Urgent

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this falls into DIY.

I have a CPR Aquatics Aquafuge small for my smaller tank. Not ideal but where everything sits I had no space for a traditional fuge in the sump.

Anyway I noticed during other maint that it was leaking a little and the seam between the clear and black acrylic had split about and inch down from the top, pretty much right at the waterline. I turned off the pump to lessen the weight and started removing the pump and light. Whilst I was doing this it split half way down the side. Not a clean black and clear split either. Some black actually broke off with the clear. I got clamps and some weldon from a local friend. I have not heard back from CPR and it's been about 4 days now. Do I try to fix it or let it go? I have no idea what I'm doing with the weldon. It is a little urgent as my AFS spilled in extra food and the fuge was keeping the algae at bay apparently. As soon as the fuge went offline algae has been going crazy.

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO anything that can result in a flood and potential fire should be replaced. Acrylic is not glued but chemically welded.

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the weldon for acrylic from a friend. I did a 30% WC but we had a huge amount of snow and I can't make more water until it melts a little bit and my output from basement is cleared.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gluing acrylic requires CLEAN surfaces for a good weld. Can you get the split surfaces clean?
Another option might be to put an acrylic 'patch' over the area with Weldon 16 - cover the split on the outside with a small piece of new acrylic.

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called and finally got in tough with CPR. They are sending me a 'patch kit' with weldon and a 'patch'. we'll see if it hold up.

Back