Uronema becoming big problem these days? (Aside from chromis)

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I find those things very boring, I am still waiting to find a nice small one at my LFS. I have had many of them and they get to big for my liking.
On another thread people were saying iron is bad for a tank so I suspended a pliers in my tank the week before Thanksgiving and a week after that I traded it for a few iron nails which are very rusty. Nothing happened and nothing will. Iron, in moderation is good, but rather than relying on old rumors, I test my theories on my tank.
I don't know anyone who follow's my methods, but I also don't know anyone with an old tank. As a matter of fact I never heard of anyone with a very old quarantined tank where the fish only die of old age, spawn and never get sick. Do you? :D

I've had decades old fish that went through quarantine.
Also, I've seen many sick fish in the wild.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question as I read through the thread.
I’ve obviously seen lots of mention of using metro and some of using prazi (separately) only a couple of using GC which is both of them. Is that because the concentration of both medications in GC is not at the proper levels to use as a single treatment or is more about increased control is dosage and timelines?

Is best practice to use metro in both the water and in food to target external and internal?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve obviously seen lots of mention of using metro and some of using prazi (separately) only a couple of using GC which is both of them. Is that because the concentration of both medications in GC is not at the proper levels to use as a single treatment or is more about increased control is dosage and timelines?

Is best practice to use metro in both the water and in food to target external and internal?
Prazi isn’t an effective uronema treatment but does well for flukes and black ich.

Yes metro in the water and in the food. :)

JDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks in advance!

I have not QTed with copper just TTM with an ignorant focus solely on ick.

With a six mouth old system, I asked my wife and daughter to pick up some snails from my LFS because they were in the area. They also came home with two gorgeous Axil Chromis and a Springer:rolleyes: You have my attention now with other parasites. I see no issues on or with these fish. They are happy and eating after a FW dip and two TTM changes.

My question is to confirm copper concentration. I have Seachem Cupramine (I know not your favorite ) and MultiTest Copper (Hanna Checker Copper is on the way). Cupramine recommends a range of 0.5mg/L. You say for now, you are happiest at 1.75ppm. Just to confirm, 1ppm=1mg/L, so I would ramp up Cupramine to 1.75mg/L (just to keep units of measurement the same) for 14 days?

Respectfully!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks in advance!

I have not QTed with copper just TTM with an ignorant focus solely on ick.

With a six mouth old system, I asked my wife and daughter to pick up some snails from my LFS because they were in the area. They also came home with two gorgeous Axil Chromis and a Springer:rolleyes: You have my attention now with other parasites. I see no issues on or with these fish. They are happy and eating after a FW dip and two TTM changes.

My question is to confirm copper concentration. I have Seachem Cupramine (I know not your favorite ) and MultiTest Copper (Hanna Checker Copper is on the way). Cupramine recommends a range of 0.5mg/L. You say for now, you are happiest at 1.75ppm. Just to confirm, 1ppm=1mg/L, so I would ramp up Cupramine to 1.75mg/L (just to keep units of measurement the same) for 14 days?

Respectfully!
1.75 PPM is only for chelated copper products. Cupramine is ionic copper. I keep it at 0.5 - 0.55 PPM for cupramine. Cupramine isn’t a bad product, at least it is consistent in potency! :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GC actually seems to be pretty popular, from what I see. The only concern I'd personally have using GC for both in water and in food is that some fish might not be willing to eat food that tastes of praziquantel. (In which case try just Metro in food.) When I feed fish GC-medicated food I will add an additional 1/5 scoop of Metroplex, just to bump the metro concentration from what's in GC alone. I have no proof that this helps, but after using it this way a fair bit at least it doesn't seem to hurt! :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GC actually seems to be pretty popular, from what I see. The only concern I'd personally have using GC for both in water and in food is that some fish might not be willing to eat food that tastes of praziquantel. (In which case try just Metro in food.) When I feed fish GC-medicated food I will add an additional 1/5 scoop of Metroplex, just to bump the metro concentration from what's in GC alone. I have no proof that this helps, but after using it this way a fair bit at least it doesn't seem to hurt! :)

I can't get my fish to really eat the API GC. None of them really like it. I almost have to starve them. Even the pigs hardly eat it.

Fixing to switch over to just metro and dose the water with liquid Prazipro.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 anthias are on day 8 of TTM. I've been keeping the water dosed with metroplex the entire time, except for yesterday I used general cure. Up until now, they've been chowing down on mysis with metro+focus, but today won't go near it. They did go nuts for non-medicated spirulina brine though. I think they're just tired of the way the medicine tastes. My question is, do you think that they've had enough medicated food at this point that I can just feed them regular food from this point on?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 anthias are on day 8 of TTM. I've been keeping the water dosed with metroplex the entire time, except for yesterday I used general cure. Up until now, they've been chowing down on mysis with metro+focus, but today won't go near it. They did go nuts for non-medicated spirulina brine though. I think they're just tired of the way the medicine tastes. My question is, do you think that they've had enough medicated food at this point that I can just feed them regular food from this point on?

You're probably fine; just keep an eye out for white stringy poo.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is advantageous and ubiquitous. Generally not considered a problem with a fish that is not immunocompromised.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: As I think about this more, I also suspect the root issue may NOT be the wholesalers such as Quality Marine. I highly suspect that the suppliers of the wholesalers are cutting corners and expenses because they're unsure if they will be around/able to collect and sell tomorrow. All of this talk about banning shipments of coral and fish around the world -- it's no surprise. It's tough to justify the capital investment if you don't know if your business will be around next week, it changes everything to a short-term focus.

PERHAPS these wholesalers could do more. I've had QM refuse to sell my LFS a fish for me that wasn't healthy enough, showed obvious infection. That was positive, in my book. I'm trying to look at this more holistically. I cannot say who is at fault but I think many factors are at play.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my fish QT business, I would love to partner with a wholesaler of Quality Marine's caliber. Let's work together to provide folks with healthy fish and end all this needless loss of fish life. And the next time environmentalists want to shut down yet another region of the world for collecting; let's show whoever gets to make that decision that we are trying our best to make this hobby more responsible.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my fish QT business, I would love to partner with a wholesaler of Quality Marine's caliber. Let's work together to provide folks with healthy fish and end all this needless loss of fish life. And the next time environmentalists want to shut down yet another region of the world for collecting; let's show whoever gets to make that decision that we are trying our best to make this hobby more responsible.
I could not agree more.

revco33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a yellow tang from petco that had velvet and looked ich at the end. I’m in constantly for CUC, they offered it for 20$ if I’d take it.. a lot of the time how you talk to someone will set the stage. Acting upidy or the YOUR KILLING THINGS will make them not want to “help”.

More flies with honey thing. Off topic but it just hurts reading flaming someone then expecting they are giving.

When I purchase a fish I will ask them to hold said fish for 2 days and stop in and ask for a feeding. They are willing if they are confident in the stocks!

Gimme that fish usually will start with issues alone

What? lol!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back