Uronema marinum on Green Chromis in QT

skywurz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got some Green Chromis and put them in QT. I had one Green Chromis die with a red spot near its gills. I thought it may have been someone picking on him. Today i noticed another one with a spot near the top of his head and googled. sure enough it matches Uronema marinum.
I have 3 more Green Chromis in quarantine and a Sleeper Banded Goby.
I have taken the one Green Chromis with the red spot and fresh water dipped it and moved it to its own mini tank.
My QT is at .5mgl copper. could this have transferred between any other of the livestock in the QT? I really do not want this in my DT. what should my next steps be? i do not have access to Formalin or Ruby Reef Rally or metronidazole. (our LFS is currently only open 1 hour a day and it will be a couple days before i can get out to any of my semi local fish stores and petco and petsmart dont seem to have anything helpful.)

IMG_20200406_164007.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a thread with more options for treating uronema. One of which is hydrogen peroxide and another is with the commonly available malachite green:

OP
OP
S

skywurz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a thread with more options for treating uronema. One of which is hydrogen peroxide and another is with the commonly available malachite green:

I saw that but it doesn't look like it works. "Dosage range tested was 250 - 2000 ppm which has NOT been successfully tested on live fish"

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While uronema is somewhat common on Chromis, anthias, it can infect any fish. :(

The key to the H2O2 is moving the fish into a fresh tank after each bath. So it's kinda like TTM.

OP
OP
S

skywurz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok time for the $35 question.
Can i simply does the QT tank.
Take out the livestock after 30 min, put them in fresh specimen containers.
Drain and rinse the qt and fill it back up.
Then put the livestock back?

Edit:

And if this were true. so my math that for my 17.5g of qt water i would need 35ml of 30% hydrogen peroxide to get 150ppm

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank needs to be sterilized to ensure removal of the parasites. Bleach, rinse, rinse, rinse, and then dry. Works better if you have two tanks or tank sized containers (5 gal food grade buckets will work).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Bug G gave good recommendations. I with anthias and chromis performed a formalin bath using general cure in a CLEAN bucket and after 15 mins and then a rinse in tank water in a CLEAN Bucket and moved to tank.
I have 8 buckets dedicated to saltwater use only. I recommend the same

OP
OP
S

skywurz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just wanted to check back in and say its been 10 days since i nuked my QT tank from orbit and dipped the living inhabitants without wounds in peroxide. So far no new signs of sickness. the 2 Chromis that have survived seem happy and fine so far *knock on wood*

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is uronema among Chromis confined to the green species or is it prevalent among all Chromis, including ones like the black and white species?
Uronema can be found on all fish species. But the green Chromis, being the most commonly available, is seen the most often.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back