Uronema Marinum prevalence in blue sapphire damsels?

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blue sapphire damsel that passed a couple of weeks ago. Was eating and swimming fine. I came back from classes and noticed him dying/ a red mark. after doing some research on another topic, i saw the thread of uronema. Learned that it was prevalent in chromis but wasn't sure if it was in blue sapphires. Thinking of getting another sapphire and was just curious

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blue sapphire damsel that passed a couple of weeks ago. Was eating and swimming fine. I came back from classes and noticed him dying/ a red mark. after doing some research on another topic, i saw the thread of uronema. Learned that it was prevalent in chromis but wasn't sure if it was in blue sapphires. Thinking of getting another sapphire and was just curious

Unfortunately it’s becoming common in many fish, Chromis, Anthias, some Angels, Wrasse, etc. Uronema can be beat if you start treating before symptoms appear. If you are buying a fish that is a common carrier for Uronema I would treat for it even if it doesn’t look sick. Treatment is 2 scoops of Metro per 10G and metro laced food also. Both for 14 days. Usually once symptoms appear the fish is unlikely to be saved.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Big fan of the Blue Sapphire. Have several in my DT. Haven't heard of uronema as a problem in the Blue Sapphires. But this reinforces the need to QT everything that comes into your systems. :(

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Big fan of the Blue Sapphire. Have several in my DT. Haven't heard of uronema as a problem in the Blue Sapphires. But this reinforces the need to QT everything that comes into your systems. :(

@Big G how active are your blue sapphires? the one i had would come out for feeding and that was about it. Also, peaceful right?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very peaceful. Except for when I'm blasting the sand with my Seasquirt turkey baster thing. They both hate it and actually attack it. Too funny. Other than that, they kinda hang out in different areas of the tank. I'm going to get some more. I'd like to have a school of about 10 or so.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it’s becoming common in many fish, Chromis, Anthias, some Angels, Wrasse, etc. Uronema can be beat if you start treating before symptoms appear. If you are buying a fish that is a common carrier for Uronema I would treat for it even if it doesn’t look sick. Treatment is 2 scoops of Metro per 10G and metro laced food also. Both for 14 days. Usually once symptoms appear the fish is unlikely to be saved.
I agree 100%. Chromis seem to get them more than other damsels but they’re still susceptible, as are more fish than ever these days it seems...

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very peaceful. Except for when I'm blasting the sand with my Seasquirt turkey baster thing. They both hate it and actually attack it. Too funny. Other than that, they kinda hang out in different areas of the tank. I'm going to get some more. I'd like to have a school of about 10 or so.

are they active swimmers? i have a firefish who hides all the time and want something more lively!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 149 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back