Uronema Marinum Video

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my previous videos with the same title, and you’ll see the exact same symptoms. Look for “Uronema Marium” and the update videos.

This is the second time I’ve delt with this parasite and NOTHING touched it. I mean nothing. Copper, Formalin, Acriflavine, CP, etc. I’ve hit it with everything on the planet.

Velvet responds to Copper. Brooklynella responds to Formalin MS 37%. Most parasites die from CP, but not this one.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is certainly frustrating, however I have successfully treated suspected uronema with both CP and metronidazole.

Maybe I've been lucky!

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is certainly frustrating, however I have successfully treated suspected uronema with both CP and metronidazole. Maybe I've been lucky!

Yeah, I’d say you were lucky if it was indeed Uronema. How did you know it was Uronema?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for sharing :). very informative

Just trying to get video evidence out there of the parasites and symptoms. In this particular case it’s hard to say. I only know of one that doesn’t seem to respond to anything. I do have several other videos that show Velvet, Brooklynella, and other different fish parasites.

I hear a lot of people say that this drug or that drug will get it, but you never see any evidence of it. Never do you see any video evidence.

Before too much longer, I’ll be scoping fish on video (skin scrapes, gill biopsy, etc.) and making a diagnosis. Then following up by treating the fish on video and documenting every step of the way.

Last edited:

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the fish I treated was a chromis that had the red sores associated with uronema. Other fish in the tank that this chromis came from were confirmed to have died of uronema by a skin scrape performed by a microbiology professor at a local university.

So, it is possible that the fish I treated did not have uronema, but not likely.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the fish I treated was a chromis that had the red sores associated with uronema. Other fish in the tank that this chromis came from were confirmed to have died of uronema by a skin scrape performed by a microbiology professor at a local university.

So, it is possible that the fish I treated did not have uronema, but not likely.

Wow, so for sure it was Uronema. Usually when I have a blue-green Chromis that’s infected enough to have a red sore on his head- he’s pretty much done. I’ve even ran pure oxygen and can’t seem to keep them alive. Every LFS I’ve talked to says they buy 50 Chromis and 25 die the first week.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red sores were just beginning. Scales were raised and the hemorrhage was showing.

Another possibility is vibrio type infection, though neither CP or metro should have worked if that were the case.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mine were already internally infected. I just finished scoping the fish. I’ll post a video tonight. I also have a little surprise for you guys.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this video and sorry for your losses. Couple of questions, and my apologies if you addressed them and I just missed it:
1) Is your QT a longstanding QT with biofilm that would degrade any meds you put in?
2) Did you consider bacterial infection and treat with broad spectrum antibiotics?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this video and sorry for your losses. Couple of questions, and my apologies if you addressed them and I just missed it:
1) Is your QT a longstanding QT with biofilm that would degrade any meds you put in?
2) Did you consider bacterial infection and treat with broad spectrum antibiotics?

Glad you enjoyed the video. Always trying to help pass information.

My QT’s are never longstanding. There’s several reasons why and I’ll try to quickly cover a few.

1. People always worry about trying to “cycle” their QT. I feel that Ammonia and Nitrite are easily controlled via water changes or with detoxifiers such as “Kordon AmQuel Plus.”

2. Leaving a QT up increases the chances of a particular Parasite / Protozoa lingering around in the system. If the system is broken down and bleached/ air dried- it’s impossible.

3. You never know what you’ll be dealing with. For this reason “I ALWAYS” tank transfer the fish while running therapeutic levels of different medications- depending on what I’m dealing with. This gives you the absolute best chances of controlling the parasite by reducing the population and preventing new Parasites or Protozoa from seeking after or landing on the fish.

Regarding the antibiotic therapy. I didn’t treat with antibiotics this time, because I felt it was a parasite issue. I did run praziquantel for a while though. I run antibiotics if the fish has big open wounds or I suspect a bacterial infection.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you enjoyed the video. Always trying to help pass information.

My QT’s are never longstanding. There’s several reasons why and I’ll try to quickly cover a few.

1. People always worry about trying to “cycle” their QT. I feel that Ammonia and Nitrite are easily controlled via water changes or with detoxifiers such as “Kordon AmQuel Plus.”

2. Leaving a QT up increases the chances of a particular Parasite / Protozoa lingering around in the system. If the system is broken down and bleached/ air dried- it’s impossible.

3. You never know what you’ll be dealing with. For this reason “I ALWAYS” tank transfer the fish while running therapeutic levels of different medications- depending on what I’m dealing with. This gives you the absolute best chances of controlling the parasite by reducing the population and preventing new Parasites or Protozoa from seeking after or landing on the fish.

Regarding the antibiotic therapy. I didn’t treat with antibiotics this time, because I felt it was a parasite issue. I did run praziquantel for a while though. I run antibiotics if the fish has big open wounds or I suspect a bacterial infection.

I definitely would not use Amquel or any other dechlorinator if you're using copper, as it can make it more toxic. Otherwise, I agree with you completely on all counts. I just wanted to check, since biofilm in established tanks can also cause the meds to be ineffective. As I'm sure you've heard.

And yeah, that's fair. But bacterial infections aren't always that obvious, and you literally treated with every drug for every parasite that we know to exist. You may have indeed had uronema/velvet/brook/who knows initially, treated it successfully, and had the fish succumb to a secondary bacterial infection. Not saying your theory of a resistant parasite is impossible at all, though. What actually happened is anybody's guess at this point. In any case I applaud your efforts, and please keep us updated once you hear back about any microscopic diagnoses.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, gotta be careful what you mix.

Check the latest video I just posted. One of the Chromis will be under my microscope tomorrow if that particular store is open on Sunday. If not, I’ll be looking for another one which shouldn’t be hard to find.

When you get into microscopic evaluation there’s a lot less guess work. These Parasites or Protozoa can be identified by distinct features. Looking at Uronema and features like the Caudal cilium, Cytostome, Contractile vacuole, and Necleus. Some of these features are only specific to particular parasites.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, gotta be careful what you mix.

Check the latest video I just posted. One of the Chromis will be under my microscope tomorrow if that particular store is open on Sunday. If not, I’ll be looking for another one which shouldn’t be hard to find.

When you get into microscopic evaluation there’s a lot less guess work. These Parasites or Protozoa can be identified by distinct features. Looking at Uronema and features like the Caudal cilium, Cytostome, Contractile vacuole, and Necleus. Some of these features are only specific to particular parasites.

Very interesting! I may have to get into microscopy myself

Back