Uronema or bacterial

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 27/30 with copper power for ich and velvet. The fish had velvet but I figured they were there so just go for 30 days and cover the ich base also. All the fish have been looking great. But I noticed yesterday one of the chromis has developed a pink/light red sore on its side. I know chromis seem to be at higher risk for uronema.
What do you all think it may be? And what are my options going forward?
I was going to do api general cure after the copper treatment ends. In my qt I have 3 chromis, 2 clowns, and a melanarus. The other fish are fine (now) and show no signs of anything. Thank you!
Sorry for the terrible pictures, it wouldnt swim still long enough

IMG_20210320_114739469.jpg IMG_20210320_114738689.jpg IMG_20210320_114619526.jpg IMG_20210320_114531495.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn’t linear like most Uronema lesions, but it is suspicious. Any chance this could have resulted from an injury? Bacterial infections like this rarely just start up with no injury preceding them.
Do you have any antibiotics on hand? What else is in the tank with the chromis and that clown?
Jay

OP
OP
Msmith2813

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn’t linear like most Uronema lesions, but it is suspicious. Any chance this could have resulted from an injury? Bacterial infections like this rarely just start up with no injury preceding them.
Do you have any antibiotics on hand? What else is in the tank with the chromis and that clown?
Jay
I'm not sure if theyr could have been an injury. I can't rule it out either. I have two clowns, two other chromis and a melanarus in the qt with it.
The only other meds I have on hand is api general cure. I can head out and get some antibiotics today if I need to

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might not be a bad idea to have some antibiotics on hand. You'd want to get a broad spectrum, gram negative type; Neoplex, Furan-2 or even Maracyn 2. You can dose that along with the copper.....

Jay

OP
OP
Msmith2813

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might not be a bad idea to have some antibiotics on hand. You'd want to get a broad spectrum, gram negative type; Neoplex, Furan-2 or even Maracyn 2. You can dose that along with the copper.....

Jay
@Jay Hemdal Am I able to mix the furan and api general cure. My copper treatment ends today and the furan just arrived this morning.
Also, this is my first time using copper. Do I just do a decent size water change over a few days to get it all out and switch to the api general cure? Or what's the best process? Next time can I add the api general cure in the last two weeks of copper to cut down on qt time?
Sorry for the million questions. Just trying to learn the best practices for a qt. Thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Am I able to mix the furan and api general cure. My copper treatment ends today and the furan just arrived this morning.
Also, this is my first time using copper. Do I just do a decent size water change over a few days to get it all out and switch to the api general cure? Or what's the best process? Next time can I add the api general cure in the last two weeks of copper to cut down on qt time?
Sorry for the million questions. Just trying to learn the best practices for a qt. Thank you
I prefer to remove some of the copper with water changes prior to dosing the GC, saves a bit of stress. I have not dosed GC and Furan2 together, maybe the labels will give you some idea?
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back