Chromis - Uronema?

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

Picked up a Green Chromis the other day as my first fish following my ammonia dropping to 0.

Introduced the fish 3 days ago, have noticed that it has a white spot on its bottom rear fin (looks like ich, but hasn't progressed), and some interesting little marks on its face and rear.

Note: For the first day, the Chromis stayed hidden and pressed against a rock on that side, possible that they are abrasions? The fish didn't have them when inspected in the store prior to purchase.

I've seen countless threads on Uronema, I can't tell if this is it though. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

IMG_4875.png

IMG_4879.JPG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

Picked up a Green Chromis the other day as my first fish following my ammonia dropping to 0.

Introduced the fish 3 days ago, have noticed that it has a white spot on its bottom rear fin (looks like ich, but hasn't progressed), and some interesting little marks on its face and rear.

Note: For the first day, the Chromis stayed hidden and pressed against a rock on that side, possible that they are abrasions? The fish didn't have them when inspected in the store prior to purchase.

I've seen countless threads on Uronema, I can't tell if this is it though. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

IMG_4875.png

IMG_4879.JPG

With green chromis, Uronema usually is found mid-body, between the two spots that you circled. Uronema lesions are also usually vertically linear, not circular. There is some variation to that, but this does not look like classic Uronema to me.

Is the fish eating well?
What other fish are in with it?

Jay

OP
OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With green chromis, Uronema usually is found mid-body, between the two spots that you circled. Uronema lesions are also usually vertically linear, not circular. There is some variation to that, but this does not look like classic Uronema to me.

Is the fish eating well?
What other fish are in with it?

Jay

Good to hear, thanks for looking.

The fish is the only inhabitant and is eating well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good to hear, thanks for looking.

The fish is the only inhabitant and is eating well.
Looks to me like a bump injury To assure it does become infected, keep an eye on it for improvement. You can also safely add Ruby rally pro for prevention of issues and safeguard for Uronema. The best treatment for uronema is often Prevention. Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can thrive on bacteria, uneaten food, and waste so besides treatment also maintain a clean tank removing waste daily and do not allow salinity to fall which is often a trigger for uronema

OP
OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like a bump injury To assure it does become infected, keep an eye on it for improvement. You can also safely add Ruby rally pro for prevention of issues and safeguard for Uronema. The best treatment for uronema is often Prevention. Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can thrive on bacteria, uneaten food, and waste so besides treatment also maintain a clean tank removing waste daily and do not allow salinity to fall which is often a trigger for uronema
Good to know, thanks for looking!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Welp! Looks like a gray spot has formed on the lower body where Uronema is typically found.
IMG_4955.JPG

Yes - but it is still circular. Still eating well and acting normally?

Jay

OP
OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - but it is still circular. Still eating well and acting normally?

Jay
It's hiding quite a bit, but comes out occasionally to swim around, and for food. When eating it appears to take some in to it's mouth then spit it out, not ravenous like I've seen fish in the past, but will continue to poke at the food for a while. The fish is no where near as active as I thought these fish were, but it doesn't appear lethargic and will swim in the flow when out.

The lesion is starting to become less of a circle now as it extends upwards. I've attached 2 pics below.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. If it is Uronema would the fish have already succumbed to it?

2. If Uronema would both sides have the lesions? The other side of the fish looks great!

I've got my denial hat on and hope it's something else lol, I would prefer not to break down the tank, even though as you state it is present in most aquariums and that may not be necessary.

Updated pictures:

IMG_5074.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hiding quite a bit, but comes out occasionally to swim around, and for food. When eating it appears to take some in to it's mouth then spit it out, not ravenous like I've seen fish in the past, but will continue to poke at the food for a while. The fish is no where near as active as I thought these fish were, but it doesn't appear lethargic and will swim in the flow when out.

The lesion is starting to become less of a circle now as it extends upwards. I've attached 2 pics below.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. If it is Uronema would the fish have already succumbed to it?

2. If Uronema would both sides have the lesions? The other side of the fish looks great!

I've got my denial hat on and hope it's something else lol, I would prefer not to break down the tank, even though as you state it is present in most aquariums and that may not be necessary.

Updated pictures:

IMG_5074.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg
That is certainly looking worse. Uronema lesions are most often singular and on just one side, but they do tend to be fatal rather soon after they are first noticed.
This could be a bacterial disease..

Jay

OP
OP
Mas0n

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is certainly looking worse. Uronema lesions are most often singular and on just one side, but they do tend to be fatal rather soon after they are first noticed.
This could be a bacterial disease..

Jay
Hey Jay,

Thanks for your help the past few days.

I found the fish dead this morning with it's mouth wide open, which seems to be common with Uronema. I don't have a microscope to confirm though.

As that was my first and only inhabitant, should I break down and sterilize the tank? I have conflicting thoughts on this, it would be "easy" as I don't have to rehome anything, but is the effort worth it if I will reintroduce it in the future? It seems pretty likely that the tanks at the LFS contain it, and would then transfer it to my tank at some point.

Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay,

Thanks for your help the past few days.

I found the fish dead this morning with it's mouth wide open, which seems to be common with Uronema. I don't have a microscope to confirm though.

As that was my first and only inhabitant, should I break down and sterilize the tank? I have conflicting thoughts on this, it would be "easy" as I don't have to rehome anything, but is the effort worth it if I will reintroduce it in the future? It seems pretty likely that the tanks at the LFS contain it, and would then transfer it to my tank at some point.

Thanks!
The open mouth does point to Uronema.

You don’t need to break the tank down, Uronema is found free living in most established aquariums. It only causes disease issues in newly acquired fish of succeptable species.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%

Back