Uronema? Vibrio? Other? What's going on with my tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was thinking maybe between 10-12 days just to be safe, since I wouldn't want to stop them prematurely and for something to resurface. For reference I started them on 10/15 so this will be the 8th day. Do you have any suggestions there?
Go 5 days of treatment past signs of healing

OP
OP
C

Colorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I think I may have jinxed myself- was looking at the tank late last night and found my midas blenny dead on the sandbed in the corner. I had to use tongs to get him out (may be why some of the scales are missing) on his sides. He had been doing well previously- but seemed to take a quick dive. He had been bullied by my starry blenny in the past- but i caught the starry and removed him to allow the midas to adjust- and the midas has been doing fine since.

I was able to do a skin scrape and observe under a microscope (these are mostly at 10x magnification). I did see some movement- but not a crazy amount of movement from what I saw. I was thinking it did look like uronema, but the quantity was a lot less than what I would expect? I wanted to see what you guys thought it could be? Any suggestions on next steps?

Thanks guys!

@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 @MnFish1

Attachments

• Microscope2.mp4
    32.7 MB
  • Microscope1.mp4
    58.8 MB
  • Midas2.JPG
    Midas2.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Microscope3.mp4
    75.4 MB
  • Midas1.JPG
    Midas1.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 28
  • Microscope1.mp4
    58.8 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking maybe between 10-12 days just to be safe, since I wouldn't want to stop them prematurely and for something to resurface. For reference I started them on 10/15 so this will be the 8th day. Do you have any suggestions there?
One comment - remind me in case I'm remembering wrong - but you're giving kanamycin orally (in food), correct? As jay had said before - this can be a very toxic medication - and at some point I would start to worry about overdosing or the combination causing a problem. Normally as vetteguy said - in a bath situation, a few days after would be a good time to stop. With feeding - I might be a little more concerned (since you're not really treating your other fish for anything treatable with kanamycin)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks more
Well... I think I may have jinxed myself- was looking at the tank late last night and found my midas blenny dead on the sandbed in the corner. I had to use tongs to get him out (may be why some of the scales are missing) on his sides. He had been doing well previously- but seemed to take a quick dive. He had been bullied by my starry blenny in the past- but i caught the starry and removed him to allow the midas to adjust- and the midas has been doing fine since.

I was able to do a skin scrape and observe under a microscope (these are mostly at 10x magnification). I did see some movement- but not a crazy amount of movement from what I saw. I was thinking it did look like uronema, but the quantity was a lot less than what I would expect? I wanted to see what you guys thought it could be? Any suggestions on next steps?

Thanks guys!

like an injury than uronema which is oval and ciliated with scale imperfections in many cases

OP
OP
C

Colorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One comment - remind me in case I'm remembering wrong - but you're giving kanamycin orally (in food), correct? As jay had said before - this can be a very toxic medication - and at some point I would start to worry about overdosing or the combination causing a problem. Normally as vetteguy said - in a bath situation, a few days after would be a good time to stop. With feeding - I might be a little more concerned (since you're not really treating your other fish for anything treatable with kanamycin)
@MnFish1 Yes- I have still been dosing Kanaplex in the food (but a very minimal amount based on the feedback above since I think the kanaplex may assist with bacterial issues). Since I've been seeing progress with the anthias and foxface I assume something is working well but i was definitely disappointed to see the blenny's death. I guess it is possible that the combination of the metro/kana in the food could have contributed to it's death. Perhaps one of the emerald crabs got to it as well.

@vetteguy53081 thanks for the insights- so it looks more like an injury to you? Were the microscope videos telling at all? I know that sometimes you'll see movement on dead fish during skin scrapes... wasn't sure if it seemed to be more bacterial or more like uronema. I agree that the blenny's death doesn't seem to have any of the typical uronema signs.

Thank you guys!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks guys!

Those do look like Uronema, the first videos seemed too slow, but then in the last one, they were buzzing around like Uronema can do. Trouble is, pear-shaped ciliate protozoans are REALLY common, and many of them cause no harm. I cannot visually tell these apart. In bad infections, when you tease open muscle tissue and see protozoans, that confirms uronema. If you find these on a fish that has died and was sitting on the tank bottom, they well could be protozoans that feed on dead material.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Colorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Thanks Jay- i definitely noticed a few of the pear shaped ciliates that were moving faster- which made me think they were uronema, however, the midas didn't appear to have any other symptoms-typical uronema lesions. Agreed that the may have been feeding on the dead material, I looked under the microscope for about an hour and this was really the extent of life I could find. Do you have any other recommendations at this point? Keep an eye on things and continue the water changes/metro food dosing?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Thanks Jay- i definitely noticed a few of the pear shaped ciliates that were moving faster- which made me think they were uronema, however, the midas didn't appear to have any other symptoms-typical uronema lesions. Agreed that the may have been feeding on the dead material, I looked under the microscope for about an hour and this was really the extent of life I could find. Do you have any other recommendations at this point? Keep an eye on things and continue the water changes/metro food dosing?
Sorry, I don’t have a clear direction for you to go here. Metro is typically dosed 3x either every day or every other day, and then stopped. I don’t know what happens if you go longer than five days with it……

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back