Uronema

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that has finished fallow but I'm nervous that it may have had uronema. Would it be a good test to QT a chromis and place it in there for a week or so? I'd QT for a month first. I have a Starski damsel that has finished QT but I'm too scared to place him in.

I had Tangs and wrasses die from severe bacterial infections so now I'm just nervous. The starski has never seen this tank.

Thanks!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there was uronema in the tank, a fallow period will not eliminate it.

The only way to remove it from a tank is to completely sterilize the tank and everything in it. Or just avoid chromis/damsels all together for this tank. Usually other species aren't affected by uronema.

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there was uronema in the tank, a fallow period will not eliminate it.

The only way to remove it from a tank is to completely sterilize the tank and everything in it. Or just avoid chromis/damsels all together for this tank. Usually other species aren't affected by uronema.
Yeah. What about my idea of testing with a chromis to see if I need to disinfect the entire tank?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. What about my idea of testing with a chromis to see if I need to disinfect the entire tank?
Are you unsure that it had uronema? If you had even a single fish in the tank that was lost to uronema, it's there for sure.

The only problem with testing with a single fish is the fact that it may be resistant to the parasite and "fool" you.

Then later additions could be inflicted. Does that make sense?

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true. The problem is I don't know if it was just bacterial or uronema 3 months ago
Are you unsure that it had uronema? If you had even a single fish in the tank that was lost to uronema, it's there for sure.

The only problem with testing with a single fish is the fact that it may be resistant to the parasite and "fool" you.

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I found these pictures on my phone. I had a bunch of damsels wiped out over a few week period. Obviously some are from the beginning and others when they died. I was never sure if it was just bacterial after an injury. Maybe caused by fighting or scratching.(had ick)

d0909cc5369cb0a4754a9c45b7916846.jpg
3ef35eb4fc11fbe42b34a5b40d60d658.jpg
52d918e0a0d78a05cd5eba02ffa4529b.jpg
ef0f55205d053ef719571fc892f7af6a.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From those pictures it looks to me like you may have had a little bit of both uronema and bacterial infections going on. Possible Brook too.

Let's get some more eyes on it.
@Humblefish @Big G @4FordFamily @melypr1985 #reefsquad

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish do I need to QT the freshwater black mollies? I read an old article of yours that states they do not need to be QT since they cannot carry saltwater diseases. Is this still the case? And would just testing with Black Mollies catch Uronema or do I need to add the Chromis too?

Just adding black mollies should be enough to detect uronema. Recently I found FW mollies with intestinal worms (white stringy poo), and to my surprise they lasted for quite some time after the fish were transferred into full SW. No idea if they are transferable to SW fish if one were to eat the poop (next experiment). All other freshwater external diseases should be eliminated once the mollies are in SW.

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is a pic from one that was still in fresh that i placed in. @Humblefish is it possible these are fresh diseases? Do fresh water diseases take a few days to die off in salt?
53c0ec192138a8ac90f2f131ba289237.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shallow Planet If those are freshwater ich trophonts, they might take a few days to completely clear once he's in full seawater.

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shallow Planet If those are freshwater ich trophonts, they might take a few days to completely clear once he's in full seawater.
@Humblefish thanks for answering all my novice questions. If the Mollies clear up in the next couple days and stay clean for another 2 weeks would you say I'm in the clear or is it possible this is marine ick and they will build up an immunity to it? Weighing the risk of waiting vs just nuking the rock to be 100%.

Thanks!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish thanks for answering all my novice questions. If the Mollies clear up in the next couple days and stay clean for another 2 weeks would you say I'm in the clear or is it possible this is marine ick and they will build up an immunity to it? Weighing the risk of waiting vs just nuking the rock to be 100%.

Thanks!

I would give the mollies one full month in your system before declaring all clear.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back